cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed

Woody3600
Grafter

Upload speed

Hey guys, my current upload speed is around the 0.7 - 0.9 mark, is there anyway i can increase it at all? I have a YT channel and uploading regularly is becoming increasingly frustrating due to huge upload times x
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upload speed

Those sort of speeds are about as good as it gets on ADSL, you might squeeze a bit more but you wouldn't see a dramatic increase.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Woody3600
Grafter

I think we're on ADSL2+ but i'm not sure? Is that a thing? lol Is it fibre optic or still not ver good quality? D/L is 20mb max atm x
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You can check if anything faster is available by putting your phone number in to here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
(Note Annex M is only available to business users)
Woody3600
Grafter

It's correct when it says i have ADSL2+ with downloads of up to 20, but it doesn;t say anything about upload other than that "Annex-M" which is around 1.5mb/s. Why if it can support that for business users can it not support it for me as a normal user? x
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You do realise that Annex M costs an extra £10 per month(excluding VAT I think) and also reduces your download speed?
Estragon
Rising Star

I think it might not reduce the download speed, or at least not significantly, with the speed he has. Particularly if his 20Mbps is throughput not sync.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not so. Using Annex M to increase the upload takes away bandwidth from the downstream frequencies. See here.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Annex M always reduces the download speed - it reallocates frequencies usually used for download to the upload. I think you are getting confused with uncapping the download to give the speeds above 448k up to around 1.3M which sometimes reduces it a small amount.
Edit: Jaggies beat me to it!
Estragon
Rising Star

No to both of you  :).
I agree that Annex M grabs a chunk of the upstream Annex A allocation.  On very short lines where over 20Mbps downstream sync is easily obtained there is sufficient spare space in the downstream bins to compensate for the lost low-end bins.
This has been consistently shown on Be LLU.  I'm not aware of there ever being an exception. The rule of thumb on Be is that with 16Mbps or lower Annex A, forget Annex M as you lose 2.5Mbsp downstream with a tiny upstream gain, and at 20Mbps+ you get approaching 2.5Mbps upstream with no loss of downstream  :P.
However, I will grant you something that perhaps I am not aware of.  It is possible that whoever specified the WBC DLM screwed up and didn't allow that bit-shifting to happen. So maybe we are all both right and wrong.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I believe Plusnet not offering Annex M to residential users is simply a commercial decision.
David