cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed way below my other lines - told there are no faults.

kazagamez
Dabbler

Upload speed way below my other lines - told there are no faults.

Hi guys.  Today I had a 3rd broadband line installed.  The other 2 lines both achieve within 18-19.5mbps upload speed on various speed tests.  They are with Sky. 
The engineer today who installed the plusnet Fibre Pro advised me that he was unable to test the fibre connection from the exchange to the cabinet for some unknown reason and that I would need to contact plusnet should there be an issue.  He advised that this test is carried out by openreach themselves and not by plusnet.  He was able to test the copper line from the cabinet to my premises and that was ok.
The new line is averaging around 13mbps upload speed.  Compared to my 2 other 2 lines that travel the same distance from the premises to the cabinet this speed is very low.  My business relies solely on quick upload speeds so this new line is useless to me.
I have contacted plusnet who told me because the line upload falls between 10 and 19 mbps they will not do anything as to them it is acceptable.  Even after arguing over the phone for 30 minutes they refused to help even though the support staff themselves agreed it did not seem normal that I have 2 lines running at the correct upload speed and this new line runs at 2/3 of those lines.  They advised that the line is syncing at 14.7 upload so no matter what, I can not expect anything faster than this.  Considerably lower than my other lines.
The download speed for the new plusnet line is 52mbps.  With the sky lines I get between 40 and 45 download.  Download is not my concern though.  I care only about upload speeds.
Basically I have been told to deal with it.  Because the upload speed is not below 10mbps they will not do anything.  Even when I advised that the fibre connection from the exchange to the cabinet was not tested and the engineer said he will add it to the job notes for when I call plusnet and they contact openreach.  Something they are refusing to do because they do not see it as being faulty if its over 10mbps.
All this comes after 2 months of trying to get this broadband installed and engineers coming out and cutting my working business lines costing me a lot of money in the process.  So far I have had a complete nightmare with plusnet.  The staff appear to be knowledgeable but are very abrupt and in no way sympathetic.  When I was losing thousands due to the lines being cut by the engineer plusnet sent I was simply quoted the terms and conditions reference over and over stating I would not be compensated.
Ideally I would like to get this problem resolved and get the correct upload speeds.
Right now though I am so angry after my last phone call I have a good mind to post about my experiences on my blog/youtube/websites.  Bearing in mind I reach an audience of around 3-5 million unique viewers per day with 20%-28% of those being british. Could I be looking at slander charges or anything along those lines? chances are I wont do it but I am incredibly disappointed with the service I have had so far.  The only saving grace being a support agent called Alice who has been very helpful and polite during the set up process.
21 REPLIES 21
kazagamez
Dabbler

Re: Upload speed way below my other lines - told there are no faults.

Whenever I try to run the BT Wholesale diagnostics I get this message.
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

This test does not work until after the 14th day of connectivity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kazagamez
Dabbler

Can nobody assists me on the forums?
Any openreach engineers or any other knowledgeable people who can shed some light on this situation?  The test openreach where unable to carry out on the fibre connection they made today.  could that be the cause of my slow upload?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If your issue requires PN support resources, then you will not get a response on this forum outside of office hours.  You will though get some level of assistance from other customers at nearly anytime of day or night.
The reply I gave you is clearly not what you wanted to hear, but is I believe none the less true.  During the first two days of FTTC the line seeks to sort out the best speed achievable - are you still within the first two days?  During the first 14 days data is gathered to determine the line's profile, until that is complete the BT speed test will report a "fault" - are you still within the first 14 days?
Until these initial periods have expired there is little which BTOR will do to look at what users perceive to be errors, especially if performance is within the estimation envelope.
If any of the above is misinformed, someone will quickly put us both right!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi kazagamez,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the service. I've taken a look at your connection and I've attached the line statistics to this post.
The download and upload rates are normally pretty relative to each other. For example, if you're getting a sync rate of 80Mb, I'd expect 20Mb sync on the upstream. If you were in sync at 35Mb, I'd expect an upstream sync rate of between 6-7Mb.
Your sync rate as per the below attachment is:
Downstream Speed: 52.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 14.9 Mbps
Given the above logic, I'd expect exactly those speeds that you've got there. Your Speed Estimates are 52M/15M so I don't think that the speeds you're getting are unreasonable. Unfortunately we wouldn't have a case to take to our suppliers if your speeds fall within your Speed Estimates. I'm not sure how you're getting upload speeds of 18-19.5mbps on the other two lines when they have lower downstream speeds.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chris,
From this user's other thread on concurrent use causing disconnections...
Quote from: kazagamez
Hi Chris.  Everything is connected through Ethernet separately.  The Plusnet is supplying 1 PC and the Sky lines are supplying separate PC's also via Ethernet.

Quote from: Chris
I'm not sure how you're getting upload speeds of 18-19.5mbps on the other two lines when they have lower downstream speeds.

Is that possibly down to Sky providing a different product / offer?  Is there such a thing as a 40/20* service?  Could the slower speeds and line interactions be related?  Might cross-talk be of more concern with the suggested non-standard pair configuration?

@Mods, is there merit in merging these two threads?  Apparently incomplete BTOR commissioning tests, markedly different line speeds and apparent interference between the two (three ?) services - might be better all lumped together as a single issue?
Kevin
*Edit: Immediately after posting the above I read...
Quote from: Kelly
Anyone live on it yet?   I'd like someone to post a speedtest demonstrating the higher upload speed on this product onto this thread so MrSaffron believes us Smiley
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4337586-4020-fttc-how.html

kazagamez
Dabbler

Thank you for the responses guys.
Chris I was told that Sky use their own equipment which explains the difference in speeds.  from the very start Sky quoted me 40-44 down and 19.5 up both of which have been accurate.  from the start Plusnet have told me I would achieve the 50-54 down and close to 19 up.  even when I was being made aware that a bridge had to be put in place to install this Plusnet line I asked the questions.  Will this have an effect on my speeds? Will this line be just as good as my other line?.  I was assured it would be capable of the same speeds as the Sky line and just as reliable.  I am now being told that because of the bridge this line is a B line and so anything above 10mb upload is considered ok as the bridge affects speeds.  I am getting around 12-14 up.  It varies.  That is unacceptable for me considering I made it very clear from the start I expected close to 19 up.
I was never once told that I would actually never get above 15 mb upstream.
I am running a business here that relies solely on upload speeds.  I would have never taken this line if just 1 agent had explained that the line will not support more than 15mb upstream.
kazagamez
Dabbler

I am gonna try and post my speedtest results here.  Hopefully this works but this is my first time attempting this.
SKY

Plusnet

Bear in mind that the PC beside me that I used to test Sky is connected to the Sky router via an internet powerline adaptor(through the house electrical circuits) and so loses a little bit of speed.  I could test it directly through the router but that means disturbing people in the other room.
Plusnet connection is a direct Ethernet connection to the Router.
kazagamez
Dabbler

Quote from: Townman
Hi Chris,
From this user's other thread on concurrent use causing disconnections...
Hi Chris.  Everything is connected through Ethernet separately.  The Plusnet is supplying 1 PC and the Sky lines are supplying separate PC's also via Ethernet.

Quote from: Chris
I'm not sure how you're getting upload speeds of 18-19.5mbps on the other two lines when they have lower downstream speeds.

Is that possibly down to Sky providing a different product / offer?  Is there such a thing as a 40/20* service?  Could the slower speeds and line interactions be related?  Might cross-talk be of more concern with the suggested non-standard pair configuration?

@Mods, is there merit in merging these two threads?  Apparently incomplete BTOR commissioning tests, markedly different line speeds and apparent interference between the two (three ?) services - might be better all lumped together as a single issue?
Kevin
*Edit: Immediately after posting the above I read...
Quote from: Kelly
Anyone live on it yet?   I'd like someone to post a speedtest demonstrating the higher upload speed on this product onto this thread so MrSaffron believes us Smiley
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/f/4337586-4020-fttc-how.html

I am on the 80/20 with Sky.  I believe the next one down is the 40/10
kazagamez
Dabbler

Can I just add that to me it makes no sense.  From the exchange to the cabinet is a fibre connection so that should not lose any speed.  The engineer tested my copper line and told me it was "A ok" and that the copper line is only 32 metres long.  He advised that the Sky line for some reason is showing as being 42 metres long.  Shouldnt any drop in speed be dictated by the distance from the premises to the cabinet supplying with the coopper line.  Then on top of that aluminium etc.
The fact that the engineer told me my line was capable of getting full speed but the "full speed" Plusnet are sending me is not even 15 upstream and in a recent telephone conversation the business support agent tried to tell me it is because my exchange is not capable of more than 15 mb upstream.  Well the proof is above with the Sky test.  Bear in mind that is a slow result for Sky.  It is usually slightly over 19.
I still do not understand why there is such a large drop in speed to begin with.  I am only 32 metres from the cabinet.  Before the cabinet is a fibre line.  Am I missing something?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you believe you have a fault, please ensure that you complete the Fault Checker fully at http://faults.plus.net - personally, I can't see an issue with your line speeds against your line estimates. If you are as close as you say you are to the cabinet, that's something our Faults Team should take a look at.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

I am running a business here that relies solely on upload speeds.  I would have never taken this line if just 1 agent had explained that the line will not support more than 15mb upstream.

if that's the case then you should be paying for a business class product then and not a home class product.
if you want guaranteed speeds then you need to pay for it.
what is this business that relies solely on upload speeds that you are running from a home product.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is a Business Customer.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

it's still an "up to" service though, so no guaranteed speeds - "Up to 19.5Mb upload speeds"
sky don't offer business products though, so that statement still stands.