cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed slow

wluke

Upload speed slow

Hi all,
Ever since adding AnnexM to my line I don't seem to be getting the full upstream speed that I'm syncing at.
I'm currently synced at 2399973 US (20824573 DS), it's often higher if I sync during daytime. However every speedtest I run reports an upload speed of 1.5-1.6Mbs.
I've tried a number of runs of http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ which shows the upload test as "failed" and in red, due to the low speed being outside acceptable values. I believe the tap3 tests are broken at present so I can't try that (at least none of them worked for me after changing the username to the speedtest one).
To confirm I've nothing else running that's doing uploading or could be hogging the bandwidth. My router even shows "peak" upload speed of 1604 which seems in line with the speed test results I'm getting.
I spoke to the support team to ask if there was anything obvious wrong but there wasn't and he's raised a "fault", but I thought I'd ask here incase someone can suggest something to try that I've not thought of yet.
Here's the full line stats:
 --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            : G.992.5 annex M      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          : 20824573 bps  US Actual Rate      :  2399973 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      : 20912000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  2352000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode        :  Interleave
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :        9 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :        3  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    19. 6 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 5  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 2471201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :        5 dB    Far SNR Margin      :        6  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00004946      CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

On a side note, these line stats seem to indicate that Interleaving is turned on, however the chap on support seemed adamant that it was off? Not that this makes much of a difference, but I'd prefer the lower latency if possible.
5 REPLIES 5
wluke

Re: Upload speed slow

No-one any ideas what might be the cause of this low upload speed? Been 4 days and not heard anything back from the faults team yet ;/
I know downstream speeds are capped both by Plusnet and BT with the IP Profile; is there anything similar that applies to upstream speeds?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Interleaving at level 1 is effectively off, or Fast Path. There's no upstream cap.
wluke

Okay, thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. I guess I'll just need to wait and see what the faults team can discover about the low speed.
On a different line with this router it had shown "DS Path Mode" as "Fast" and not "Interleave" which is what had confused me regarding the interleaving.
wluke

Astounded I am.
Just had a response from the "faults" team. He says there is no speed problem on my line, after having linked some line stats which showed the same sync details I reported (guess the btwholesale speed test is wrong then...), but that he's reset the SNR. Really!?
So now I have to wait weeks for DLM to bring my SNR back down again. Am I being punished for reporting a fault?
Suffice to say I phone and requested a MAC code, going to move to an ISP that will listen to me.
wluke

Just heard back from support on this issue, must say that this time the guy I spoke to, Ian, actually listened and so understood the issue, then took the time to investigate, which was a welcome relief.
Thought I would update this post in case anyone else has a similar issue, and also as it seems people were unaware of this.
Turns out the IS A CAP on upload speeds. It's defined as "Max Potential Profile". In my case, despite the line syncing at 2.4Mbs upstream, BT Wholesale have this cap set at 1.53Mbs.
So, be warned if you're looking to add AnnexM to your lines; it may not give the increase you were expecting.
Apparently this cap cannot be removed, which seems very peculiar, but it's being passed to faults to pass to wholesale and see for certain.