cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed slow, please update me on ticket

imaketoys

Upload speed slow, please update me on ticket

Upspeed has dropped from half a mb to 384k to 100k since moving into a new house. I logged a ticket 2 days ago and have yet to have a response. This speed is clearly unacceptable, I cannot connect to work.
The monthly price has also just gone up and your telephone support line queue is in excess of 25 minutes.
This is the first time Plusnet support has let me down.
9 REPLIES 9
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Upload speed slow, please update me on ticket

Hi imaketoys,
Welcome to the forum.
I can see that you've started the fault checker on your account but I've also ran some tests on the line in the meantime. The router is currently syncing at 443Kbps so everything on our side looks to be performing as normal.
Are you able to check the speeds using an Ethernet cable? If you've already tested using a cable rather than wirelessly, do you have another router to test?
Many thanks,
imaketoys

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Same speeds on ethernet cable and wireless, after resetting the modem upspeed has increased to about 200k on wireless & ethernet cable.
I noticed that ports 1 and 4 on my modem are not working, no light on these ports when plugging in a cable. Ports 2 & 3 are working ok.
Are you able to confirm if fibre is available for my area, I see it listed.
imaketoys

I don't have another modem or router.
imaketoys

I have just upgraded to the fibre service and paid for a new fibre router.
I honestly don't know how to get support for this, I've tried phoning, have logged a ticket and updated it, and posted on a bloody forum. What happened to Plusnet? The support used to be excellent.
If I have continued speed issues I'll just cancel the direct debit regardless of how long the contract has to run.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Imaketoys,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your issues.
By any standards, your reported speeds are abysmal, but if you are remote and rural, might be the best you can get.  If this is the case, I'd be concerned that moving to fibre is going to disappoint.  What do the various speed checkers say about your line's expectations, both ADSL and FTTC?
Can you please post your current stats and other info as described at the top of this forum under speed issues.  This will enable forum members to take a view in how your. Line is performing and where the issue might be.  There is every possibility that internal wiring (etc) could be contributing to the problem.
Is there noise on your phone line?  Dial 17070 option. 2 from a corded phone in the master socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

imaketoys

Hi Townman,
Thanks for replying.
I'm not in a rural area, I've actually just moved from a rural area where the upload speed was fine.
I'm getting the same download speed here and the upload has degraded slowly over the last couple of months.
I really haven't got time to start troubleshooting this any further, I'm just checking in here for any kind of update or response. I had a couple of issues before which were dealt with very quickly and with telephone calls - and Plusnet also dealt with the move very quickly and professionally. When I changed to Plusnet from Virgin I had text updates every other day updating me on the order.
So I've seen a degrade in service and a degrade in support.
I've confirmed 2 network ports dead on the modem, I think it's probably on its way out, so I'm just going to go for an upgrade and the engineer can do his thing.
There is a brand new ISP in my area who will have residential packages available in 2 weeks, so I'll give the fibre a week and if it isn't up to scratch I'll just cancel the direct debit and change provider. I've been through all this nonsense before with BT and Virgin. They all go bad in the end.
DanHodby
Grafter

Hi imaketoys,
I'm picking this up for you on your account.
I've changed a couple of things on your account so if can you allow 24 hours for the changes to go through and then run a full speed test on : www.speedtest.btwholesale.com
Make sure the test is ran on Ethernet and without anything else running in the background. You should be offered 'additional diagnostics' if you could follow this through to the end.
If you could add the test results to the support ticket I have as a personal I can pick this back up for you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Imaketoys,
95% of speed issues are not caused by anything over which the ISP has any direct control.  Without sight of stats it is impossible to clearly advise.  The router could be failing, but I think that is unlikely.  Fibre has a minimum contract period; if you terminate early then you will face early exit penalties.  If there are operational issues with your line, you will face the same problems irrespective of your ISP, unless that ISP uses an infrastructure completely independent of BTOR's local copper access network - for example Virgin Media.
How recently did you move your PlusNet service from your old location to the current one?  There is the remote possibility that the references to the phone number over which service is delivered has not been fully / consistently updated within PN's systems.  One of my referrals recently experienced this issue.  The phone service got moved (new service installed and referenced on the account) however the number at which the broadband service is provided did not get updated and the "high speed internet" (current speed) page still showed the old number even after the broadband had been moved to the correct line.
I suspect that this could have lead to the profile (maximum data speed) not being correctly updated.  Visibility of the diagnostic stats would highlight if this applies here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

imaketoys

Dan - thank you for picking this up.
Townman - Thanks for your input and suggestions.