cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed question

PeteW1959
Grafter

Upload speed question

I have just started using a remote backup facility, and I'm in the process of backing up everything for the first time. I realise that this is going to take several days because my upload speed is only 0.27.
So my question. Why when uploading does my ping go from 39 to 1890 and download speed drop from 17 to 0.3?
I would have thought that with limited upload bandwidth I should still acheive a reasonable concurrent download speed.
9 REPLIES 9
bradw
Grafter

Re: Upload speed question

Simply put: every "data packet" you send needs to be confirmed that it has been sent, so even downloading uses both download and upload. This would also affect your ping for the same reason (ping being how long it takes a travel to go "there and back" - using both upload AND download)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PeteW1959,  as you are on ADSL you might be able to get your upload speed uncapped - which would help !
Can you get a screen capture of your modem status page ?, where it shows "DSL type" and "up/down bandwidth".
Do you know whether your gateway has an upstream "QoS" setting ?,
as correctly set upstream "QoS" would recover much of your download speed and ping times.
PeteW1959
Grafter

@purleigh, I can't find all of that information, and I have checked every page.
I have 'Downstream connection speed 20722 kbps' and 'Upstream connection speed 445 kbps'
There isn't anywhere that shows DSL Type, nor which gateway I am connected to.
My modem is Netgear DG834
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case you should definitely ask the Plusnet staff in this thread to have your upstream speed uncapped, as it will probably double your uplink speed and cost you nothing extra.
In the mean time I will see if I can work out whether your DG834 has and QoS capability.
PeteW1959
Grafter

Plusnet staff, are you reading this? Can I have my upload uncapped please?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley That should do the trick  Smiley
Just checked and none of the Netgear DG834 series have QoS - despite Netgear promising it 'soon' about 5 years ago.
I have also just been through all the settings on my DG834GT with enhanced DGTeam firmware, and that doesn't do QoS either.
See how you go with your upstream uncapped.
If the download speed and ping times are still bad, then have a look at your backup software and see if there is any upsteam data rate limiting settings, and try setting the maximum bandwidth to say 80% of your new faster upload speed.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It may depend on which version of DG834. If the DG834v3 is the same as the DG834Gv3 except without wifi, then the v3 has a couple of traffic prioritisation features, they're not configurable via the web interface. One is that there's supposed to be ACK prioritisation in the DSL driver, called TurboDSL. The other is the priowrr 4-band priority scheduler, pre-set to do nothing much besides prioritise VoIP traffic.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I have my upload uncapped please?

Sure, I've just raised an order that should complete tomorrow AM. There's a confirmation and an order ID on ticket 70366399 for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeteW1959
Grafter

Brilliant, thanks Adam  Cool