cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed problem?

helloahay

Upload speed problem?

I do a lot of work from home, and have to upload a lot of files to clients, some of them GB's in size. However I've always experienced really poor upload speeds, and have always put this down to my line speed. Purely out of curiosity I've signed up to the forum and wanted to see if that really was the case or if there is something untoward going on?
Here are my latest results:

Router stats:

Current line speed:
20.3 Mb
I read about capped upload speeds on ADSL2+ but I don't think that applied to me (xDSL). I don't have Fibre in my area so can't go for that product. I've done everything recommended to increase my speed but nothing has a huge impact.
13 REPLIES 13
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Upload speed problem?

looking at the router stats the SNR on the upstream is extremely high it should be close to or equal to your down stream but with yours your upstream SNR is 27.7 db and the downstream is 3.8db
the higher the SNR the less speed but the more stability you get, something is not right for the SNR's to be so far apart like that, it's usually an indication of noise on the line either a sudden burst or long progressive build up hard to say which either way it's a fault and should be looked at by the PN staff. 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It looks like helloahay is on ADSL2+ with capped upstream.
Not sure where the confusion with xDSL originated from, but I think xDSL is a generic term to indicate something that applies to both ADSL and VDSL.
dscofk

Hello. similiar problem here.  i just joined a couple of days ago, and my upload is synced and capped at 448. it was 1Mbit before.
Is this usual while it's training or is it duff?
helloahay

Thanks for the replies.
I got the xDSL reference from my Connection Details in the Member Centre on the PN site, don't know how much relevance it holds.
In terms of the upstream noise and the possible cap, do PN staff monitor these forums or should I raise a ticket through the Help Centre?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm sure I read relatively recently (here from PN staff) that new provides were no longer capped.  Lips_are_sealed
Mine, a few weeks ago was, and I had to ask for it to be uncapped.
It was still slow, due to interleaving, which I had removed, so it improved a bit more.
Currently sync'ed at 1176kbps due to SNRM inflexibility (vs over 1300kbps before on BeThere) but only profiled at 0.83mbps (WHY?)
Bit of a mess really.  Cry
helloahay

I've been a customer since June last year, cap might have been in place then, I don't know.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dscofk,
I have had a look into this for you and replied to Ticket: 82737939 on your account. As you are currently upgrading to Fibre we are unable to place another order to modify your current broadband service upload speed. This issue should be resolved when you have Fibre installed.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi helloahay,
I've had a look into this for you and placed the order to modify your upload speed to uncapped. This should complete in the next 24 hours. Hope this helps and that you start to see an improvement. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dscofk
Hello. similiar problem here.  i just joined a couple of days ago, and my upload is synced and capped at 448. it was 1Mbit before.

Which exchange are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
helloahay

Quote from: Linn
Hi helloahay,
I've had a look into this for you and placed the order to modify your upload speed to uncapped. This should complete in the next 24 hours. Hope this helps and that you start to see an improvement. Smiley

Many thanks Linn, looking forward to the increase!
helloahay

Looks to be a bit quicker today.

Smiley
Thanks.
A
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi helloahay,
Glad to see it's improved for you Smiley