cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed from 0.4 to 0.6Mb/s after cap being removed???

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upload speed from 0.4 to 0.6Mb/s after cap being removed???

Quote from: rpucyk
Thanks for all replys,not really sure what test socket means but I only have one phone socket in a house and router is connected directly to it, no filters used as we dont use phone land line at all, we need it strictly for broadband, please advice
You should connect it through a filter
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
You should connect it through a filter

Why ?
Filters are ONLY required when telephones and faxes (and the like) are connected at the same time.
Broadband signals work perfectly without any filter fitted when only an ADSL modem is connected to a phone line.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Without a phone a lack of a filter is probably OK until someone rings his phone number.
rpucyk will probably say no-one rings him, but he could be getting unsolicited calls (e.g. PPI, accident claims etc) and he wouldn't know. Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you look at the circuit diagram of an ADSL filter,  the ADSL socket is UNFILTERED - just a straight through connection.
The telephone outlet has a low pass filter which passes the audio frequencies but suppresses the higher than audio frequencies from being transferred from the handset to the phone line - which could otherwise interfere with the operation of ADSL.
Therefore no filter is required when only a modem is connected.
In fact with modern electronic designs and type approved telephones, filters are generally unnecessary anyway, because recent handsets don't emit interference outside their designed audio range.
Filters were recommended by BT about fifteen years ago because it was a simple solution for self install ADSL, for a device which cost next to nothing, would appear to work whether they were required or not, and was an easy message for consumers to understand.
I don't see why a filter would be needed to suppress anything from the incoming ringing voltage ?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

From your stats "FEC Errors 0 / 0" suggests your connection is fastpath, it's not good enough for this and should be on interleaved.
As ejs pointed out your on a ADSL1 (G.992.1) connection, you would be better on ADSL2 (G.992.3) or ADSL2+ (G.992.5). This may automatically be corrected once fastpath is disabled.
rpucyk
Grafter

Thanks guys for all comments, just plugged router in directly to test socket (thanks Wo0x), you will find full stats below.
Are all discrepancies you found fixable?
Can Plusnet customer service fix it?

rpucyk
Grafter

Could DC team check this?
Phoned Customer Service monday and been told upstream is capped (again?) and it will be sorted out in 24hrs.
No changes so far.
If CS do not see the problem you guys pointed out who can help me on this then????Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If the upstream bandwidth shown in the DSL connection details is greater than 448 your upload is not capped.
Could you post the stats again please.
rpucyk
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If the upstream bandwidth shown in the DSL connection details is greater than 448 your upload is not capped.
Could you post the stats again please.

Thanks for your reply Jelv, it looks like upstream cap is not what causing the issue, question is why Plusnet CS still points this as a problem when is has already been uncapped 3 times.
Just done all tests and stats, you will find results below.
Also received a txt message from Plusnet today with estimated speed saying I have been with them 14 days and what should I be getting, unfortunately does not include Upload speed 😕
Download speed isn't the problem for me, upload speed is. I should be getting a double of what I'm on now.
Current upstream speed is simply not enough for a decent skype video call.
Posts from you guys suggests the problem is with phone line settings.
SInce I have not heard from Plusnet staff I will ask again:
Plusnet CAN YOU FIX IT?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Firstly I suggest you edit that image to remove your phone number!
Can you run the BT Wholesale speed test again please, but this time when the first phase finishes run the Further Diagnostic test. You will get results that look like this:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.83 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

Note those results are from a 20CN line. As you should be on 21CN you should also results for upstream.
Your line isn't 21CN with capped upload because the sync speed is too high. I'm wondering if you have been set as ADSL1 and that 832 is the maximum upload BT use for this. You should be on ADSL2+ (as has been commented before) - I ran your phone number through the availability check which confirmed that ADSL2+ is available.
It also told me that fibre is available to you. Looking at the results it is likely that would give you actual speeds of around 70Mbps down and over 15Mbps up. Have you not considered that?
rpucyk
Grafter

Jelv thanks for your help, just phoned CS this morning and been told my line will be switched to 21CN on the 4eh of january so fingers crossed.
Big thank you to all of you guys for your help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You are already on 21CN - I presume they meant or said that you would be switched to ADSL2+
You also won't be getting twice what you are now as upstream - possibly not much more than a sync of 950kbps at best
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Jim, why do you think he's already on 21CN?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because he already has an upload speed quoted of 768kbps, 800kbps and 832kbps and Matt already confirmed it was uncapped here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121538.msg1053588.html#msg1053588
He is however on ADSL1 21CN
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd like to see the results from the BT diagnostic. There's a possibility that he's been put on to Max Premium - the maximum upload for that is 832.
@rpucyk Please could you run that test - the output from the diagnostic test will absolutely confirm what is going on.