cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload faster than download

dcallaghan

Re: Upload faster than download

Speedtester now shows acceptable results:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2080 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1500 kbps
Thanks for your help everyone.  It is good to use a forum where people actually know what they are talking about.
I am going to check out the house phone wiring today to see why it is so bad.  Why the builder thought we might want a telephone socket everywhere but the bathroom is beyond me.
It is likely the first socket in the daisy chain is in my toddlers room so that wouldnt be a good place to put the router so I will likely run  Cat5e from the BT master in the roofspace to where I want the router, fit a filtered ADSL NTE5 there and let the rest of the phone sockets daisy chain from the filtered side there.
itsme
Grafter

Personally I would check the existing wiring first to see if the problem can be isolated before running CAT5e. I have 6 extensions in my house which I put in 20 years ago and I do not see any noticeable difference in SNRM from using the test socket to any of the extensions.
As your house is a new build the spec for the cabling the builder used will be higher than what was used 20 years ago. Believe during this time the frequency bandwidth for normal extension cabling has been increased. The problem is probably down to poor terminations or cable routing.  Personally I would put everything back to how it was with the modem plugged into the master socket (but not the test socket) and if the SNRM drops then I would start from the furthest point in the daisy chain and disconnect the extension wiring from the socket. If the SNRM go back up then the problem is isolated to the equipment plugged into the socket, poor connection or cable.routing. If the SNRM did not drop then plug the modem into each of the extension sockets in daisy chain order until you find a socket where the SNRM drop. If this happen then check the terminations on this socket and the previous one.
itsme
Grafter

Some information on cables
If the builder have used the proper spec CW1308 cabling then you should not need to replace any of it with CAT5.
This cable is used for and works well for voice and ADSL as its twisted pair construction provides some resistance to interference. As the CW1308 cable is essentially the same spec cable is used throughout the whole telephone network, it known to work well. A good long run of CW1308 cable can be used for ADSL, 50m can typically be easily achieved without any noticeable degradation. CW1308 is a economical way to ensure a reliable connection and its reliably small diameter means it is not unsightly and easy to pin to skirting boards etc.

Quite often CAT5 cable is recommended as the ideal cable to use for ADSL wiring. CAT 5 cable is a twisted pair cable so it is perfectly suitable for the purpose of ADSL. CAT5 cable is designed for Ethernet networking applications that run at much higher frequencies and higher data rates than those of any variant of ADSL. As a result the wire used is thicker and the cable has a higher number of twists per meter than CW1308 cable as it is required for the higher frequency signal. Similarly CAT6 cable has even more turns per meter and even thicker wire is used to account for gigabit Ethernet speeds. There is very little benefit in choosing CAT5 or CAT6 cable over the standard CW1308 cable as the extra twists will not benefit the ADSL signal. CAT5/6 cable is much bulkier than CW1308 as it typically has 4 pairs (8 wires) and is usually supplied in a grey finish making more difficult to hide. Our recommendation is that if you are already installing CAT5 cable for networking and are able to hide it away then it there is no harm in using it for ADSL extension wiring at the same time as you probably have bought a drum of it and have some spare
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I agree with itsme, but dis the bell wire (terminal 3) & it's mate on 4, as a first step as I posted previously. That may be enough to do the job.
WWWombat
Grafter

The quote from itsme really highlights what it is that helps prevent interference - the twists of each individual twisted pair within the cable (3 pairs inside CW1308, and 4 pairs inside Cat5 and Cat6 ethernet).
The problem with the bell-wire causing interference is that the ring signal carried on wire 3 isn't balanced properly by what is carried on wire 4 - even if wire 4 were connected. In this case, the twists don't add anything, and the bell-wire acts as an antenna that picks up any noise.
So the key is to make sure that the house wiring is made up of decent CW1308 cable (ie has decent twists), and that none of the spare pairs are being used (deliberately or accidentally) for an unbalanced signal such as the ring. Chris also mentioned making sure there were no components left on the back of any of the secondary sockets, as these can also help induce interference.
My original house wiring had an oddity that was introduced when it was originally built (1996), and then checked (and left in place) by the BT engineer that first installed broadband (in 2000, back before the days of self-install)... The BT master socket isn't actually the first socket in the chain (where the wire enters the house) - it is actually the last. The signal coming in on the BT line is carried on the 1/6 pair through the internal daisy-chain, which then terminates on an NTE-5 backplate at the final socket. The frontplate is a BT-supplied ADSL-filter, where the router was connected. The filtered voice lines are then carried on the 2/5 pair back through the daisy-chain again. In this case, the interference is reduced because the pairs are twisted, and because each pair is in balanced use - though I remember feeling very dubious at first!
We don't use that line for broadband nowadays. I wonder how it would fare with a Max-ADSL setup?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You could experiment by swapping a few wires somewhere Wink
Sorry, that's off-topic for the thread.
WWWombat
Grafter

Thoroughly off-topic agreed. I only remembered it was setup like that while I was typing the bit about how the 3/4 pair was unbalanced.
Its beginning to amaze me that ADSL works half as well as it does, given the, er, "varied" state that the nation's wiring must be in.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.