Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload capped again?/ Something screwy

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Upload capped again?/ Something screwy

After having my upload speed uncapped, it was at around 1120 for 4-5days.  Looked at the router stats tonight and noticed I had resynced 3hrs ago, and whilst download not particularly changed, upload had gone down to 600kbps.  Thought it was a blip, so restarted router, and now upload is just over 400kbps
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:10
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 456 / 7.144
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 1,00 / 0,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 41,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 9,5 / 6,5
Can anyone explain???  Stats from last night

Now

Profile on PN side is 5500, so must have had a sync blip for some reason, but upload speed concerns me, after 1 blip, do BT now deem my line as unstable and cap my upload??  be very peeved if they have!!!
26 REPLIES 26
talkcomp
Grafter

Re: Upload capped again?/ Something screwy

This seems to be happening to a lot of us.  Great Up stream to start and then it drops dramtically for no reason.
I think PlusNet and BT need to take a closer look - just look at the number of comments on here?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Also noticed my line has now become very unstable. Had 5 resyncs tonight since 7PM, sometimes so quick, that the PPP connection has not come up!!.  Never been like this before. Currently have 1hr uptime, and upload has come up as well for sme reason. Noticed on the resyncs that upload very very variable, whilst download syncs are quite stable.  Any ideas?  If this continues, then I will ask to be moved back to MAX, as downloads are really no better than Max.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I have been on the tial for approx 1 month now, and the initial stability has all but disappeared.  I originially was on a capoped upstream, that james kindly removed for me, and after that for a few days very solid sync. For the past few days now connection has been up and down terribly, have at least 1-2 resyncs per day, sometimes within seconds of each other. Tonight was the final straw, saw I had resynced at 5111 down, and 99 up!!!!!!  I have just now mived to the most up to date firmware on my router (Speedtouch 585V6, firmware 7.4.3.2 and see what happens.  I have noticed there is no interleaving on the line, but on old MAX, I had interleaving on, and the line could stay stable for weeks at a time.  Can someone from Comms see what my line is like from their end.  Current stats are
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:07:03
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 595 / 7.051
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 156,00 / 642,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 44,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,0 / 7,0
Would welcome any advice...  Strangely Down Attn has gone from 42 on ADSL MAX, to 41.5 on ADSL2+, and now after firmware update to 44.5.....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well that didnt work then.....  I have swapped out the router now, for a PlusNet supplied TG585V7, see how that goes.  If the same thing, then I am asking for a return to standard ADSL, as unfortunately the trial seems not to be stable enough for me.  Hoping it is the router, had it a good number of years now, at least 3, and its been on since then virtually 24/7 See how it goes anyway.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Seems I am getting huge+++++ upstream errors.  I presume this is the causes of the resyncs....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the huge upstream CRC and FEC errors are a figment of the router's imagination, resulting from counters not properly initialised. I would be inclined to try resetting the router to factory defaults (using the pinhole button) then set it up again.
Your downstream sync speed is about right for the attenuation but upstream sync speed is undoubtedly poor. It isn't clear whether the elevated upstream (target?) noise margin is the cause of this, or results from the poor upstream sync speed. You are not alone in experiencing this behaviour and it is something the Plusnet need to look into, but I've seen nothing that suggests they are doing so.
If you do reset the router, and that cures the CRC/FEC anomalies, it is possible the DLM will sort out the upstream noise margin. If it persists I suggest you raise a fault ticket marked for the attention of the 21CN trials team.
Generally one expects "weighted-average" attenuation to increase slightly with ADSL2+ because higher frequencies are brought into play, and attenuation is higher at these higher frequencies.
David
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks David....
Sync is still unstable, so I am going to move the router and plug directly into the filtered faceplate, and if that is still the same, into the test socket.  If its still the saem, then at least I know its not me..... and I will raise a ticket for the 21CN team to investigate.  You comment reagrds alot of people having the issue and PlusNet doing nothing about it is interesting, I do hope they resolve this, as I will have to move back to ADSL if nothing improves.
Chris
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Not moved to the master socket yet, will do so later, but instability still present, and Upstream noise margin now at 26dB, 4dB more than on ADSL!!!!..   Downstream syncs still OK, and profile now 5500, on a 7200sync, but probably still in the 3days etc etc.  Posted most recent stats, still those abnormal upstream errors seen, although this seems to be a bit random, and immediately after a resync they are 0.  I dont think my internal wiring is at fault, but moving to master socket, will rule out problems with my Cat5E cable to the RJ11 router linebox I have, but i doubt this is the problem. Can anyone offer advice.  It appears I have some of the same issues bluebird has had.   I have no issues with the speeds I am getting (although 99 for an upstream sync is a bit beyond the pale!!!), and I entered the trial just to see what my line can do. What I really want however is a reliable sync, and although I came into the trial with open eyes, and realise a trial is just that, Comms seem not to be helping, and I have had no replys from Comms to this thread.  Should I be raising a ticket now.....
scootie
Grafter

Comms seem not to be helping, and I have had no replys from Comms to this thread.  Should I be raising a ticket now.....

yep i think they should have a couple of people pro actively looking for problems on adsl2+ instead of waiting for for people to kick a fuss up.
after all it is trial surely PN should be using this golden period before mass release to sort these sorts of problems posted about on the forum as these are going to come thick and fast when it's launched as a product.
Granted its a new BTw fault reporting system ect but the end user is only really bothered about how speed issues ect are sorted and PN is the face that they see in most cases and not BTw's
if it wasn't for a couple of members of staff that i know will a least try and get any problems i might see sorted when iam on the trial soon i wouldn't of let my line any where near the trial.
hope you get your adsl2+ line working soon penfold and i hope PN take note about pro actively looking for and sorting adsl2+ trial problems
sry for abit of a off topic post penfold but just needed to say it
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: penfold
Should I be raising a ticket now.....

Yes, I think there is a strong case for raising an upstream speed fault ticket. Don't forget to mention this 21CN Trial forum topic.
David
David
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks ASBODOG...
I agree with you, although we should be raising tickets, and I have done just this now, Comms seem to be conspicuous by their absence on this topic.. Also Spraxts comments are a little disturbing as well.
You are not alone in experiencing this behaviour and it is something the Plusnet need to look into, but I've seen nothing that suggests they are doing so.

I am now in the ADSL Faceplate directly, and these are the current stats
BTW, the errors were definately at zero when rebooted, and this is a brand new Speedtouch 585V7, so I am not sure what a factory reset could do....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks david...  Didnt reference this post on the ticket, but will do so now.  I am now preuming the DSLAM has effectively perminantly raised my noise margin.  We will see how stability goes directly in the Filtered Faceplate.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your broadband connection is actually moved to an MSAN (Multi-Service Access Node) instead of a DSLAM when you go onto the 21CN trial. (MSANs handle POTS/PSTN phone calls also - though that won't happen until your phone service  is independently moved to 21CN.) However that's a technicality, similar function.
One thing that is apparent is that the DLM on 21CN is more responsive to changes in line conditions and target noise margins can reduce within a few days (example). So an increased target is far less of concern than on maxDSL. Fix any problem and the target should quickly go down.
David
David
James
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
Comms seem not to be helping

Apologies for not working a seven day week Wink
When did your problems actually start?  Was it on Friday?  Realistically, we're unlikely to get any movement on this for you yet, due to the issues that are currently ongoing on London.  However, as soon as these are resolved we can look at your upstream issues.  There's also an outside chance that fixing Ilford may fix your connection, but we'll have to wait to see what happens.