cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload capacity is unbearable

kstrange

Upload capacity is unbearable

Hi,
The upload speed and bandwidth on my connection is horrible. Whenever anybody starts uploading anything, even if it's something small like a 1mb photo, the entire outgoing connection drops out, i.e. when I'm in an online game, I'm completely unable to do anything until the upload stops. I've put up with this for over a year, but it is unusable and I'm going to have to switch provider if it can't be solved, since this is absolutely ridiculously lacking in basic functionality.
I've read other topics where the upload speed was able to be uncapped without hassle.
Can you do this for me please? Again, this connection is unusable otherwise since it is used largely for online gaming.
Thanks in advance.
Edit: excuse my brashness, seems I got the wrong end of the stick.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upload capacity is unbearable

Are you on 21CN (ADSL2)? If you are your line is not capped.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kstrange

Thanks for the response.
The router says it's running on G.992.5 which seems to be ADSL2+.
Still, the upload issue remains (speedtest says my download is 11.57mb/s, upload is 0.77mb/s).
Thanks in advance.
kstrange

The upload speed I can live with, it's more of an issue of my connection completely dropping when anybody begins uploading something.
Perhaps there's some way I can fix this on my end, but I can't find any throttling options in the Technicolor config. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you try running the DSLReports speedtest, click the 'DSL' tab, and see what grading it gives you for 'BufferBloat'.
Ideally you should score 'A' or 'B' if you want to do serious gaming on a line shared and used by other people.
If you get worse results than this, use your router's 'QoS' settings to REDUCE your outbound bandwidth, as this will improve your latency spikes.
You might want to investigate whether you router has the ability to prioritize gaming traffic, as that would reduce your latency and send your traffic before other peoples uploads etc.
I'm running with half your download and upload speeds, and have eliminated gaming issues, on a severely overloaded connection, by tuning bufferbloat, prioritizing outbound traffic, and ensuring my BT and Plusnet line profiles are set correctly.
kstrange

Hiya, thanks for the response.
I'm getting...
Bufferbloat: D | Quality: A | Speed: D
I'm using the Technicolor TG582n, it doesn't seem to have any traffic priority or throttling options. I'm guessing I'll have to look into a new router.
Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a read of this topic - TG582N - Amazing upload QOS! (CLI configuration)
I can't help you with that as I've never used a Technicolor router.
My generic advice to improve 'BufferBloat' is to bandwidth limit your upstream to about 85% to 90% of your lowest speedtest results.
Good luck  Wink