cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload (and download) speed very slow

jpinto

Upload (and download) speed very slow

Hi, my upload speed is really low (average or below 0.7Mbps). Additionally, when I am uploading documents, my download speed goes down to below 1Mbps, which makes it impossible to work with... 

Is there something wrong with my connection? Thank you!

Additionally, the only upgrade offer Plusnet has for me is much more expensive and longer than the one provided to new customers... 

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 12.08.17.png

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Upload (and download) speed very slow

@jpinto , welcome to the forums. Before we offer any advice, can you please confirm whether you are on an ADSL or FTTC connection - it does make a difference to the situation.

John
jpinto

ADSL. I have now added the speed info I get. Thanks for the quick reply.

jab1
Legend

OK, thanks for the confirmation.

Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

Ignore the request in that link to run the BTW test - you have done so already, and obviously have a problem, somewhere.

Which router do you have?

John
jpinto

Thank you for the help.

I have tried two different routers and they both give the same speeds (m2704N Plusnet and Technicolor DWA0120, the one I am currently using). Same with the cable connection.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jpinto 

On ADSL you are never likely to exceed an upload speed greater than 1 Mbps, In addition if you have a Hub Zero 2704 N hub then these suffer from buffer bloat. When you are downloading there are handshakes that have to be uploaded. If you are uploading something else at the same time then these handshakes can’t get through resulting in the problem that you are reporting.

I’m afraid that for serious use you need to upgrade to FTTC.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@jpinto wrote:

Thank you for the help.

I have tried two different routers and they both give the same speeds (m2704N Plusnet and Technicolor DWA0120, the one I am currently using). Same with the cable connection.

OK. It is obvious from the speed test results you posted earlier that there is something wrong - your download is only about half of the potential and upload is reporting zero.

Have you carried out the Quiet Line Test? - we need to eliminate potential phone line problems before looking at the broadband side of things - BB will be impacted by line errors.

Does your DWA0120 give you any useful statistics - I've never heard of that model?

John