cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speeds still capped on new Unlimited Broadband?

burrowsp
Grafter

Upload Speeds still capped on new Unlimited Broadband?

I have read other posts, from quite a while ago, where upload speeds on new provides were, for some reason, capped at 448k. But the posts seem to suggest that this was going to cease.
I moved from O2 Broadband to PlusNet Unlimited last Monday. The migration went quite smoothly overall (thank you PlusNet) and the download speed was immediately around that of the O2 service (around 11Meg) but the upload speed is a poor 350k compared to over 1Meg with O2. The router shows Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 12.707. This ties in with a capped upload speed. (I believe the router should actually read [kbps/Mbps] as 12.707kbps would be an extremely poor service!).
I raised a ticket (76502007) a couple of days ago to ask about the possible cap being removed but I have not received any response from Plusnet.
Is there any other way I can request this be looked into?
I am doing daily speed tests, while the service is 'bedding in', using the PlusNet recommended tester at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
This recommends that I reset the router before performing a test. However, I have seen posts that state that resetting the router regularly like this will be seen as drops and will cause the speed to drop over time.
How regularly would this router resetting need to be to affect service in this way?
Many thanks
P.S. Here's the stats from the router since the last reset:
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 2:25:20
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 12.707
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 103,58 / 1,37
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,6 / 20,8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16,1 / 31,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,2 / 5,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2.004 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 271 / 2.542
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 83 / 16.612
Connection Information

Uptime: 1 day, 2:27:26
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 94,07 / 1,21
Connection Settings

PVC Info (VPI.VCI): 0.38
Type: PPPoA
11 REPLIES 11
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Upload Speeds still capped on new Unlimited Broadband?

Until the 10 day training period is over I don't think they can, but it usually takes 24-48 hours to be carried out once the ticket is seen.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
burrowsp
Grafter

I don't believe the upload capping is related to the 10 day bedding in period. It is something Plusnet's system does automatically but it was claimed in previous posts, of a year or so ago, that it shouldn't be doing this and the practise would be stopped.
How will I know when PlusNet have actually seen the request? It has been over 48 hours since I raised the ticket.
Sorry, but I'm new to PlusNet so I'm not sure on Customer Service expectations yet.
Many thanks for your response.
burrowsp
Grafter

I'm presuming PlusNet don't view these forums on a weekend?
Again this is my lack of familiarity with what to expect from PlusNet Customer Service.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Digital Care Team who respond to forum posts work 9am to 5:30pm Mon-Fri and are not normally here at weekends. Support are avaialble 24x7 and I imagine they will pick up your ticket over the weekend and place an order to uncap your upstream. You should receive an email to the email address you registered when they respond, and an SMS too if you requested one. A prompt should also appear on the Member Centre home page https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html?home=membercentretop
Ticket response times have lengthened of late, not helped by the bad weather in the south and East Anglia. Hopefully speedier responses will return soon. Smiley
Edit: Despite what the BT Wholesale speed tester might say I wouldn't restart the router before testing, or at all really (except to correct an exceptionally low sync speed). The DLM can see this as an indication of line instability and increase interleaving depth (giving higher pings) and/or increase target SNR margin (reducing sync speed) to stabilise the connection. When the upstream cap is removed the router should restart automatically.
David
burrowsp
Grafter

Many thanks spraxyt for the info on the workings of the Plusnet Support and also for the advice on the router resets. I shall await the Support Team's action on the ticket I raised on Thursday.
burrowsp
Grafter

80 hours since I raised the ticket to have the upload cap removed but it still hasn't been picked up.
Is this still within acceptable limits for a support ticket response?
I did see an old forum post that said if you add any comments onto a ticket it drops to the back of the queue.
Is this still the case?
burrowsp
Grafter

96+ hours now and my ticket (76502007) is still awaiting being picked up.
burrowsp
Grafter

I think I'll wait until it gets to 100+ hours (around lunchtime today) then raise another ticket as my original ticket has obviously got lost in Plusnet's system somewhere.
Not a good welcome to Plusnet!! Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

When is your ten day line training period due to end ?.
Waiting 120+ hours on a ticket raised before a weekend is fairly normal  Embarrassed
Your ticket won't have got lost, so raising a new one won't help.
The ticketing system has always been slow, but works fine for non-urgent requests - such as upload uncapping orders.
Unfortunately a bit of patience is usually needed, but the request will get done - usually in less than a week.
I would be surprised if a member of the Plusnet forum "Digital Care Team", didn't respond to this thread today, or by the end of tomorrow at the latest.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've replied to a different post of yours elsewhere, one of the team is going to pick this up and uncap your upload. I would ask that you try to keep this type of request to one thread as it makes it much easier for us to keep on top of here.
Welcome to Plusnet and the Community Cheesy
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
burrowsp
Grafter

Many thanks Chris. I will bear it in mind in future but my posts were actually relevant to each of the forum threads that I added them to.