Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed

khaled35
Rising Star

Upload Speed

Hi,
Did a speed test at BTW and while my download speed is fantastic, it would appear that my upload speed isn't as great as I would have expected.
Is it normal for uploads to be 40% lower than the profile it is set at? (see attached image)
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Khaled
8 REPLIES 8
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: Upload Speed

yes, mine can range anywhere from 12-18 i have just done a test now and its at 15.94
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, you may notice speeds fluctuating to a degree to be honest. Just wondering if you've noticed this happening at any particular time of day as per the issue you posted about here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119062.msg1032728.html#msg1032728
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
khaled35
Rising Star

Thanks Dhaos.  Didn't think upload speeds would be so far off the mark but glad it's not just me.
Adam, I'm still unsure about that issue.  Got a reply to the ticket that said it was fixed but I still have issues.
This is what I have deduced so far.  This only affects wireless connections (so far any way) and if I disable the wireless card in my machine and re-enable it, the problem seems to go away.  It does get pretty bad with latency sometimes climbing over 1000ms.
I have hard-wired one of my machines today to see if it is a wireless only issue and will monitor this for a few days.
Note that I am not using the stock PN router but an ASUS RT-N66U.  I have both bands enabled as I have a few devices that will only work on the 2.4
My computers are all connected to 5GHz.
Hopefully it is just a wireless issue and if that's the case, I'll hardwire all machines.
Anyone else have issues like this on FTTH?  I never experienced this when using ADSL and I'm wondering if it is perhaps the BT modem that is causing the underlying issue.
Regards,
Khaled
Dhaos
Grafter

I have the exact same setup as you, apart from i also have 1 tablet that uses the 5ghz band as well as my pc, i am also using the n56u, i dont get disconnects at certain times but i do notice sometimes when streaming between pc and tablet i get a disconnect and when i look at the tablet i have lost wireless connection. Just done another speedtest and download is 66.66 and upload is 14.82, maybe upload loses more over wireless than download does.
Also here is my latest monthly report from my samknows whitebox, as you can see the upload and download are giving better results than my wireless speed tests. So it probably is a wireless issue.
khaled35
Rising Star

Seems this has become an issue again.  I have both PCs hardwired now and things have been running very smoothly; at least upto the end of last week..
Prior to Friday (1st November), my stats looked like this:

From Friday onwards, my upload speeds have been consistently low:

Seems a little unusual to have such a drastic change in upload speeds in such a short span of time.  Download speeds are perfectly fine.
Regards,
Khaled
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi khaled35,
From what you've mentioned it sounds like there's an issue with the wireless adapter you were using.
Whilst it's realistic to think that your upload speed may vary I'd advise raising another fault if that continues to be an issue.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
khaled35
Rising Star

Hi Adam,
I'm not wireless any more.  Those speedtest results shown in my last post are from a hardwired connection.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Understood, to be clear I wasn't referring to that as being a potential cause of the upload speed you've since posted about which is why I mentioned that separately, sorry for any confusion though.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team