cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed Query

tonypart

Upload Speed Query

Hi all
When I joined PN my upload was capped at 448kbps as default. I asked for the cap to be removed and it was.
My upload sync went to 1,279kbs. but for some reason the BT profile only went up to 0.83.
Then I had a fault and my profile up and down were capped to help stabilise the line my up sync dropped to 880k.
The falut was in the exchange and has been cleared. My down stream sync is back up to 23,781 but the up stream is at 1,137 and the BT profile is still at 0.83. PN support have said it is just a reporting error and should correct itself, but it has been at  0.83 for over a month.
Could the low profile cause a problem and could it be the reason my upload sync has dropped about 10% from its best?
My current stats are:-   

Uptime: 3 days, 16:27:21

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,137 / 23,781

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 141.38 / 844.94

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.6 / 5.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.6 / 3.9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 16 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 22,920 / 26,685

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 175 / 6

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 132 / 130

I would appreciate comments and if possible a PN rep to look at the BT proflie
TonyP
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Upload Speed Query

Hi TonyP,
The reason that your upload speeds are quite a bit lower than we would expect is because your line had Interleaving on. Normally having Interleaving on your upstream would result in a lower upload sync rate, however, for some reason it hasn't. I can remove Interleaving if you'd like, however it might cause your line to start to drop out.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

TonyP what actual throughput results do you get from speedtesters?
tonypart

Hi
Thanks for the replies
When the line was syncing at 1,279 kbps Interleaving was on. It was when I asked for it to be turned off that the exchange fault became apparrent.
My actual through put varies with the speed tester using Bt speedtest and diagnostic (today) I get
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
19.99 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 19.99 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 20.98 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.65 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 0.65Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Using My broadband Speed (via PN web site) (Yesterday evening) I get
Down  19871 kbps (2.48MB/s)      Up  969 kbps (121kB/s)
I have had BT speed tests that the througput is higher than the profile
Anotherone
Champion

Yes the Upstream profile on the BT speedtest you can ignore. When it's say 0.83Mbps that's indicative of an Un-capped Upstream, it doesn't actually look at the profile of the user. Also on FTTC it says 20Mbps whatever the users actual Upstream is. Only discovered this some while back by seeing many users different speedtest results. Typical BTw  Roll_eyes
PS. You need to run some repeat tests at off-peak times to see what the results are. There may be exchange congestion.
tonypart

Thanks for that Anotherone
It just seems strange that with my previous ISP (Newnet) my upstream profile was the same as the upstream sync.
But then PN do seem to overcomplicare things e.g. their default being interleaved where others use Auto and let the DLM decide and having a separate PN profile not like most using the BT one. So I guess this is another quirk.
As for turning off Interleaving I think I will leave it for now
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt Interleaving will make too much difference but just ask on here if you want a DCT member to turn it off for you. It was probably because of the fault that DLM turned it on. As you are next door to the exchange, you ought to have no problem with it off. You can always ask to have it turned on again. If you ask for a Line reset it will goto Auto, but you must ask for the Uncapped Upstream again as well IIRC.
Your Upstream profile will be whatever it is with the 1279 sync speed, it's just that the BTw speedtester isn't checking or telling you what it is. The speedtest results will depend on not only Exchange/Network congestion, but Speedtester congestion as well!