cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Issue

clickingcameras

Upload Issue

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been covered before by another user.
I am having terrible trouble uploading images to a photography
course that I am doing and the problem seems to be my upload speed,
I have ran a speed test on speedtest.net and it is coming out at a speed of
approx 0.33 m/bits and a download speed of 5.6 m/bits.  I'm not that worried
about the DL speed, but I really need to increase the UL speed, how do I
go about this please ?
Many thanks for your time
Ian
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Upload Issue

Put your telephone number in to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
Are you on an exchange with 21CN WBC? If so you can ask for your line to be uncapped for free. If it only shows ADSL Max you can opt for Max Premium which will cost you an extra £7.83 per month.
Other than that you'll have to wait for fibre to become available.
If you are not sure about interpreting the information post the name of your exchange.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
clickingcameras

Hi Jelv,
Very many thanks for you response, I have put my number into the link that you provided
and it came up with the following information.
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.5 52.3 20 15 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 60.4 35 20 10.1 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 5.5 to 12 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 5.5 to 12 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 15-Oct-14
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.
The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.
If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.
Where planned or expected availability dates are shown, these may be liable to change.
Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
Unfortunately to me it means nothing so I am hoping you can make sense of it all.
Very many thanks again with your help
Kind regards
Ian

clickingcameras

Hi again Jelv,
I have just checked on another site which does inform me that my exchange is 21CN WBC Enabled,
So I have opened a support ticket to try and get the cap taken off.
Thanks again for all your help  Smiley

Kind regards
Ian
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Firstly you can ask for your line to be uncapped. That should roughly double your upload speed.
Secondly you can upgrade to fibre which would give you speeds orders of magnitude faster than your current speeds (the FTTC impacted speeds are the lowest you would expect). I recommend that if you choose to do that you ring up the customer options team as they should be able to offer you a good discount (if you do it online you'll pay the full price).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
clickingcameras

Okay that's brilliant, I must admit I would prefer to go down the FO route
it would be so much more beneficial for my photography..
Thanks again
Ian  Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

I can thoroughly recommend FTTC for anything that requires moderate to heavy uploading (and downloading).
If you've not tried it, see if you can have a go - it is a real eye opener and very much worth the extra £££ if you shift large files.
clickingcameras

Hi DomS,
Thanks ever so much for your feedback, I used to have Virgin FO after it had been out about a year
and must say that was impressively fast, so I can imagine it has only improved since then  Smiley
I do tend to shift a lot of large files due to being a photographer so I think that I am going to have
no option but to take the plunge. 
Thanks again for your input, and that goes to everyone else that has offered support and advice,
it really is appreciated.
Kindest regards
Ian
picbits
Rising Star

Virgin "Fibre" (actually coax wire - like aerial cable to your home) and BT Fibre (Fibre to the cabinet then existing copper wire to your home) are very different beasties.
Virgin when they aren't throttling you are generally quicker for downloads while BT FTTC is generally better for the uploads (although download speeds can be quite good too).
The beauty with Plusnet is that they won't throttle or restrict you if you are a heavy downloader or uploader.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi clickingcameras,
Welcome to the Forums Smiley
We'll get your upload uncapped without any problems, the Fibre router is definitely something worth thinking about. I know from a personal point of view that Fibre is great, it gives you the freedom to do so many things that isn't possible with ADSL (without putting strain on the overall connection performance).
Definitely worth giving our Customer Options Team a call though to see what they can do for you regarding a deal on Fibre Smiley
clickingcameras

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for your help with getting the
upload cap taken off the account, just a quick question though, how long
does it take for the cap to come off ?  Smiley
I will have a look into the Fibre without a doubt, as I think this will be
nothing but advantageous to us as a family and especially to me as a
photographer.
Kind regards
Ian
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi clickingcameras,
The order completed in the early hours this morning so your upload speed should now be reaching it's full potential.  Smiley
However, feel free to upgrade to FTTC at some point as it does seem that your upload speeds would be significantly better even to what they are now!
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet