Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading us?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Upgrading us?

Hello PN,
You recently emailed us telling us that you would be upgrading us to upto 20mb broadband within the next 5 weeks. Thats cool, but I have a question if you don't mind?
Since we had 5 routers destroyed since BT performed a 'simple' line renumber (which went horribly wrong) and we're now using the original Voyager 105 modem you sent, how are we supposed to use this new 20Mb connection when it comes?
I'm not forking out for another router to be destroyed so would you be so kind as to advise us what we're supposed to do?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Upgrading us?

Hiya,
Your modem should still work.
However, it's likely (Ithink the 105s only support ADSL1), you'll need a new router to take advantage of ADSL2+.  If you stay with us for 12 months, we can send you one for free, however if not, I'm afraid you would need to buy a new one.
7up
Community Veteran

So effectively PN, you're forcing us to stay with you for 12 months or suffer a penalty by being forced to spend money on hardware?  .. or we potentially loose a service we're paying for. Is that correct?
I suppose the last 3 years don't count?  Roll_eyes
Maybe I'm misunderstanding.. when you speak of ADSL1 and 2... Do you mean the 105 will still work at its present speed when the service is upgraded but not at the 20mb speed? - IF so thats fine... as long as it does work..
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI okrzynska,
If you'd like us to we can move you to ADSL1 ('up to' 8Mbps) rather than ADSL2+. This way you can keep your existing router.
Jojo Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

I'll chat with the SO when they're home and get back to you. Stick with your plans for now though and i'll get back to you..
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok thanks Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

.. or we potentially loose a service we're paying for. Is that correct?

From what i gather, they're upgrading you for free within 5 weeks, so in theory by not buying new hardware, your not gaining nor losing anything.
I wouldnt take a "stick for 12 months" router okrzynska, you'd be better of forking out £50 on a cheap router, than £5 on a cheap, nasty, flakey router  Wink (you wont move anyway, im sure ;))
PN have ADSL1/2 available over 21CN, so im assuming Joanne is talking about an ADSL1 provide over 21CN (Basically "up to 8 meg" but over the new equipment), you could then change to ADSL2/+ at request for no charge Smiley
Regards
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34
.. or we potentially loose a service we're paying for. Is that correct?

I wouldnt take a "stick for 12 months" router okrzynska, you'd be better of forking out £50 on a cheap router, than £5 on a cheap, nasty, flakey router  Wink

Are they that bad? - I've seen a lot of topics about it regarding firmware etc..
Trouble is the new PC is Win7 and it only has a LAN socket  Cheesy
matt_2k34
Grafter

Trouble is the new PC is Win7 and it only has a LAN socket  

GOOD!
Wireless is [Censored]. (theres no other word for it)
adds latency, insecurity, and not much good tbh,
My laptops wireless "n" - which is a *massive* improvement, but im still sat here with a LAN cable into my GigE port Smiley
ethernet > wifi.
Are they that bad?

Would not touch, and barge pole spring to mind (having used on a line for a good amount of time due to router failures) - if your a light user theyre not that bad, put any sort of bandwidth through them and i found them unreliable / hot.

Edit: although if i was going to get a Thomson branded router, id be buying one of These
But for that money, you could get a BiPAC 7800N Smiley
Regards
7up
Community Veteran

Hmm thats out of my price range.. guess I'll have to look at fleabay or PCWorry lol
Must also be said i prefer wired too. I do have Wifi but I use a PCI card as my AP with it switched into AP mode. That gives me full control over it by MAC and ip address, I can turn it on/off as needed, and best of all, if the computer has to use another connection (eg a 3G dongle) for whatever reason, none of the other computers on the network need their gateways o be reconfigured - they still use ICS on the main PC.
matt_2k34
Grafter

fleabay or PCWorry

Wouldnt recommend it,
eBay tends to be full of faulty/locked routers
and DSGi are possibly the most incompetent tech company to still be trading (how are they still going  Roll_eyes ?) -- although they do have money off via TopCashBack (and i did buy my tablet from them, but only because they were the only people with stock!)
a much more reliable, better company to buy from & if its over £50 - free delivery Smiley
edit: edited link, went to VDSL routers  Roll_eyes
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I tend to look at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk http://www.dslsource.co.uk/ and of course Amazon who often have some very good prices and an excellent returns service
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI okrzynska
If you only have one computer and are running it wired, then we do have a 1-port router which is just £20 or deferred for 12 months.
Jojo Smiley