cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Technicolor TG582n has downgraded speed?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Re: Upgrading to Technicolor TG582n has downgraded speed?

Quote from: mplusnetuser
Meanwhile, does anyone have any tweaking suggestions for a USB Ethernet connection? For example, should I set a specific value here instead of autosense:-
[...]
And should I be unselecting Printers and QoS here:-
[...]
Anything else, please?

Well, for anyone in a similar position and searching from the future, trial and error suggests that none of the above makes a scrap of difference, so I went back to the defaults.
Quote from: Bob
Is the fried network adapter on-board? Do you have an available PCI slot? I'd imagine you can pick up a cheap network card from eBay for pounds these days. Failing that a friend or family member with a smartphone or laptop or tablet would probably come in handy. We haven't any wireless dongles in the office AFAIK and like you say, that wouldn't rule out problems with the USB>Ethernet adapter, the USB host contoller or the USB port itself.

It is onboard, and I don't have a spare PCI slot (hence why I opted for the USB adaptor rather than a PCI card as a replacement). But I have a little-used Freeview PCI card which I'll probably swap out, when I can face the hassle of opening up a PC which is more buried than would seem feasible Wink
Thanks for your help, Bob..
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Upgrading to Technicolor TG582n has downgraded speed?

I've been pleased with the Edimax range of wireless dongles, such as this tiny one at £9.09 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811UN-Wireless-802-11b-150Mbps/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q... (provided you are reasonably close to your router).  Now a wireless connection does add an extra tier of complexity but it would be easy to fit as an alternative to your USB to ethernet adaptor.