cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre?

marianuk
Grafter

Upgrading to Fibre?

I am currently on the standard broadband package only with a separate bt phone line, receiving about 7.7mb downlaod speed. It's fine, but with numerous people using it for hd streaming and gaming alike I'm finding I might need to upgrade. I am considering upgrading to the fibre extra package only and was wondering if the increase in speed is worth the extra cost?
Also what is the typical speeds of the fibre packages compared to advertised?
One final point, is the phone option they provide any good, which would make it cheaper as an all-round package?
Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upgrading to Fibre?

Duplicate post in Feedback removed
The speed on fibre is governed by the distance from your house to the fibre cab (wire length)
This gives an idea of the speeds you can expect  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html#what-speed
This may also give a guide https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
The phone option is basically just a cost saving as there is no real difference between BT and Plusnet for options and the quality of the line will be exactly the same
marianuk
Grafter

Sorry about the duplicate post, was unsure where to post in the forum.
Thanks for the links. From what I've already read I believe I would receive about 60 Mbps with 'extra'. Any way I can find out a more accurate location for my fibre cabinet?
The phone info is also pleasing. Can save on a combined package should I move ahead.
Thanks.
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only way to find a more accurate location is to look at the cab number in the BT link I gave then wander round your neighbourhood looking for it
However
If you are seriously considering fibre and moving your phone don't do it through the normal upgrade route
Phone customer options on
    0800 013 2632    0330 123 9197
    Monday to Friday: 9.00am - 8.00pm (Except Bank Holidays)
    Saturday: 9.00am - 5.30pm
and see what they can offer - you may be pleasantly surprised
From my experience phoning in the early morning (in my case around 09.30) and there will be a very short wait
marianuk
Grafter

Thanks.
marianuk
Grafter

Would I need a new router to accompany the fibre modem (already have a year old plusnet router TG582n)?
My home setup has the router stationed in my bedroom upstairs next to my pc for convenience as I'm the primary user, which is at the complete opposite location to the master socket (think one diagonal to another in a cube). I am then using two powerline plugs and ethernet cables to hook up another pc downstairs. I'd like to keep this arrangement, is it possible without affecting fibre performance (From the FAQ fibre section the engineer can install an extension cable up to 30 metres). Also are powerline plugs safe to use with fibre without affecting performance?
Thanks.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's possible to install the 10.2.5.2 FTTC firmware onto any 582n and then configure it for use with the separate FTTC modem. The LAN port to connect to the modem wouldn't be labelled of course, but I think it would be LAN 4.
I think it's possible for powerline networking adapters to generate interference which could affect the performance of "fibre" (VDSL2), but it's not common or at least most people don't notice, it probably depends on your electrical wiring.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I used powerlines when my fibre was installed ,I did notice a slight loss of speed with them .
Probably about 10% drop as it was easy for me to install a 15 metre Ethernet cable that is what I did.
marianuk
Grafter

Thanks to the previous two posters. I'll probably end up getting the fribre router from plusnet for p+p.
A 10% drop for the second pc is fine.
Does anyone use an extension cable setup, and if so, how is this cable setup. Is it just a cable run inside the properry from the master socket to the prefered location you have chosen or somethins other arrangement?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi marianuk,
You have got it pretty much spot on in regards to the extension cable.
The cable will allow you to have your modem located elsewhere in the home by directly wiring Cat5e (Ethernet) cable into your current master socket. It's about 30m long which should give you a bit of an impression of where to locate, if you want to move it.
In terms of speed, you must be right next to your local cabinet as I've run a check on your number and it offers full 80/20 capabilities.
You mentioned the option for phone. The standard practice would be that it reduces the price of your broadband by £2.50. But as Jim says, you'll probably get a much more competitive deal by ringing the customer options team.
There's no queue at the moment so it may be worth your while  Smiley
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
marianuk
Grafter

Thanks Matty. I'll probably call early tomrrow morning.
I would like my current setup to continue if possible, but not at the expense of a loss of speed or messy cabling. As mentioned previously, I have the router stationed next to my pc in my bedroom upstairs. It is run from a 2nd phone extension socket (that's wired to the master socket) in another bedroom upstairs. If the modem can only be wired to the master socket downstairs, the Cat5e cable would have to travel across a wood floor and up some stairs. I could have the modem and router stationed at the master socket and use powerline plugs instead, but only if the speed loss is very minimal. How does the fibre extra package rum from powerline plugs. Others have said that there can be some interference, with a 10% drop in speed possible.
How long between placing a fibre order and the engineer arriving to setup it up? So I could plan ahead and book time off work.
Would any deal offered by the customer options team be similar to the web offering? (Is the advertised £8.99 fibre extra 6 month reduction for new customers only?)
I shouldn't have any problems switching my phone line over from BT? Switching to the joint fibre and phone deal, it states that it comes with evening and weekend call package as standard. Would this be at no extra cost, so the phone portion will not come to more than £15.95 the price of line rental.
Thanks.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi,
There can be some interference, dependent on the standard of the powerline plugs. I have FTTC and I use them for my bedroom - it seems to work very well. I'm not sure if I'd be able to put a percentage on interference levels or not though. I wouldn't worry about it too much though because it will still be significantly faster than the existing product that you are on.
I'd say it takes about two weeks, you are usually offered provisional dates, and we do our best to adhere to them. If you do request it, then let me know and I can place the order and choose a date for you.
I'm not sure whether you'd be offered that exact deal. But if it's 8.99 for the first 6 months, and 19.99 for 12 months after, then that works out at an average of £16.32 a month for the contract. I'm pretty sure they'd probably do something similar but maybe with a different spead of cost/length of contract. Of course this would all be subject to taking phone out with us, which we offer at a similar price to BT.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
marianuk
Grafter

Would I be able to make a decision on the day with the engineer whether to use the extension cable or not?
Would the price be fixed for the duration of the contract for both fibre and phone line?
Is the price of the phone line rental just for the phone line, or does it also include a call package at no extra cost? Also are there any penalties/charges for not making any outgoing calls on the phone line?
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi marianuk
You would be fine to discuss if you wanted the extension cable or not with the engineer when they visit.
Price wise, you're definitely going to be best off speaking to Customer Options. They may be able to give you a discounted rate for the full 18 months or potentially it could be a 12 month discount with the remainder charged at full price. Hard to say what they can do at the minute but it will be worth it  Smiley
With Fibre and line rental, you get Evening and Weekend calls included in the line rental.
Hope this helps!
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

for 40/20 I have been offered 3.99/pcm for 6/12 and 14.99 thereafter on an 18 month contract
line rental 15.95 pcm or 155.88 if paid in advance
an extra fiver for anytime calls
extra fiver for 80/20
I have been with them since 1999