cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre conundrum

petertuson
Grafter

Upgrading to Fibre conundrum

PN sent me an e-mail this Friday about upgrading to Fibre for an extra £5 per month.
Is this worth it in my case.
1. I already have a down rate of 20MBps.
2. My BT box is from the 1950s, sits in a cupboard at the bottom of the stairs.
3. The nearest source of power is the other side on the wall on which the BT box is fixed - there is a hole in the wall.
4. As my router is vdsl enabled, would I need the modem?
5. At the moment the router sits at the top and middle of the house to get best wifi coverage in the house. If I connected it to a modem in the room that has the power then coverage would be compromised.
6. How much electrical power does this modem need?
7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Upgrading to Fibre conundrum

Defiantly worth it  Smiley i cant answer about wifi as i don't use  it
as to your BT socket if you ask for a extension when you order , Mr BT engineer fitted me a new box exactly where i asked  Smiley even thought it meant a new wire all around my house  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only way you can get fibre for £5 per month more is to move from Extra with a 60GB allowance to Value Fibre with a 40GB allowance unless you are being overcharged for ADSL by not getting the reduction for being on a Market 2 exchange or if you are on an expensive legacy package
Basically, all things being equal, fibre costs an extra £10 per month
Note that Value fibre has some fairly nasty speed limits compared to Extra - check here http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

BT Openreach install the modem anyway but it is perfectly possible with the right equipment to dispense with it.  From previous posts I believe you have a Fritz!box (7390?), this works just fine as a VDSL2 modem/router and you can work witout the BT modem.
Regarding the position of your 'master socket', you can request a 'data extension kit' to locate the modem point up to 30m from that.
You can either have the (BT) modem at your existing socket location and run ethernet to a preferred location for the router or (with the data extension kit) locate the modem or modem/router to suit.
The modem is 'rated' at 12V / 1A (12W) but probably consumes significantly less.
If you currently get 20Mb then the best you could do is double that (or 4 times on 80/20), there is far less incentive than for those who achieve a lot less on ADSL, in theory you could get less on FTTC if you are a long way from the cabinet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
x47c
Grafter

Just to add some legalities in......
Technically speaking replacing the BT modem with your own modem or combined router/modem is a breach of the T&C's of the FTTC service.
The modem is part of the service and the demarkation point is the LAN side of the modem - which remains BT property at all times.
If you have any problems with the service and wish to call for assistance/engineer visit etc you will need to very rapidly replace your combined unit with the BT modem.
As ever check on Google so see whether anyone has had "problems" using the Fritzbox with FTTC/BTinfinity.  If they have, I'm sure they will have been screaming about it to all and sundry.
As an aside...
I would have thought the current generation of chipsets/CPU's in router/modem units would be starting to struggle. If they are being asked to sort out the entire frequency range of the VDSL signal, interleaving/error correction, band plans and so on, as well as manage the firewall, act as a switch/router for the 4 ethernet channels and manage the wireless access point  - all while transmitting 10 Mbps and  receiving 80Mbps. We are starting to look at needing a step change up to the processing power of a netbook to manage this lot.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
just to clarify, the email we sent was to upgrade to Plusnet Extra, not fibre.
Jojo Smiley
gofaster
Rising Star

@Jojo Are you sure?
The email I received on Thursday had the subject
Get super-fast fibre broadband from just £5 extra a month

and was talking about upgrading from Extra to fibre value
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies, but in your original post you said Friday. Yes, it would be £5 extra if you moved from Extra to Value fibre. Smiley