cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre - FTTC or FTTP and router changes?

krs360
Grafter

Upgrading to Fibre - FTTC or FTTP and router changes?

Hello..
Few quick questions.. I currently have the Thomson 852n (ADSL and ADSL2) router.. upon upgrading to Fibre will I need the new router?
- I still have the white BTOR modem which I used for BT Infinity.
- My current setup is Router in bridged mode ---> Raspberry Pi ---> Lan (I would like to keep this sort of setup if possible).
Secondly,
I've had an email from BTOR this morning stating FTTP is available in my area, however the website states only FTTC is available?
I worked for BT for 5 years and I can tell you for a fact that the lines in this area are served directly from the exchange (no cabs here at all).
Cheers,
Ben.
EDIT:
BTOR checker states
Available Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
Featured Products
WBC FTTC Up to 75.7 Up to 20 -- Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Upgrading to Fibre - FTTC or FTTP and router changes?

Which exchange are you connected to?
krs360
Grafter

Mitchell in Cornwall.
WWMITC is the exchange code for it, IIRC.
AndyH
Grafter

Your exchange is providing FTTC and FTTP according to the Openreach list.
BT will only provide one type of next generation access, i.e. FTTP or FTTC but not both.
What does it say on this site http://fttc-check.alc.im/ if you put in your postcode? It should list the cabinets serving your postcode, whether those people within that area are due to get FTTC or FTTP and the probability.
krs360
Grafter

Information on your search is displayed below. Note: You may have more than 1 cabinet serving your postcode.
Cabinet Probability Uplift Phase Status Type
N/A 100% Not part of a phase Directly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported.

Map Data
Terms of Use
Map
Exchange Information
The information for your exchnage below comes direct from BT Openreach.
Exchange Name Status Availability
WWMITC Mitchell Accepting Orders Now
Probability is the likelihood that you are connected to the listed cabinet. The higher the number the more likely. You may know your cabinet number already.
Uplift is the multiplier for speed increase. For example if you are currently on 4 Mbps and the uplift is 10 then you might expect around 40 Mbps.
Phase refers to BT Openreach's deployment plans. With phase 1 being the oldest
You can find more information about your exchange at SamKnows. Check the FTTC status date for a rough idea when you might be able to get Fibre.
Cabinet Data based on December 2011 PCP document. Other data updated daily from BT Openreach.
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm that's slightly strange. It might be you weren't part of the original rollout plan but have since been upgraded.
Normally the BT checker is accurate so you will probably have FTTC rather than FTTP.
As for routers, these are going to change quite soon as there will be a demand for integrated vdsl modem/routers with wires only FTTC. Plusnet have been trialling theirs and it seems a big improvement on their last router - particularly the wireless.
st1967
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
What does it say on this site http://fttc-check.alc.im/ if you put in your postcode? It should list the cabinets serving your postcode, whether those people within that area are due to get FTTC or FTTP and the probability.

That website is quite out of date though, we've had fibre for over 6 months and it still does not show on it.
The proper Openreach one does though of course and it also lists the cabinet I'm attached to?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
AndyH
Grafter

@ st1967
The site uses the leaked PCP sheet from Openreach in 2011 showing the rollout plans for all the UK. For most people, it is still fairly useful as it shows a large percentage of cabinet/rollout plans.
The BT DSL Checker is the latest info and the best source. I wanted the OP to use the other site to see if any people on his postcode were planned for FTTP. There have been other people in Cornwall next door to each other but on different cabinets and one has been able to get FTTP and the other FTTC.
st1967
Grafter

That would explain it then, Fibre was a pipe dream for us back then.