cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Value to Essential Fibre

robstreats
Grafter

Upgrading from Value to Essential Fibre

I hope that it will be useful to those following on behind me with a Broadband upgrade and also fair to Plusnet if I chronicle my experience. I have been with PN since 2002 and have been very satisfied, so after much deliberation I decided to go Fibre Essential from BB  Value which I had had a long time. I duly placed the order and also asked for my phone line to be transferred from BT to PN at the same time. The order was quickly taken and I was told that the phone transfer would take place after the new BB was installed. After several days I became aware that nothing seemed to be moving (no confirmation of the BT man’s visit), so I rang PN’s Customer Service and found that due to BT’s ordering system being down at the time of my order, it had been cancelled and for some unknown reason, never reinstated. This was quickly rectified, the order replaced and the service was provided in about 10 days from the original contact. The BT man actually arrived early and in no time at all fitted the BT modem which he had brought with him, checked it was working correctly up to that point and left me on my own. This was not a problem  especially with the assistance of CSC who talked me thru’ a reset of the router (which was my fault). The new system then worked very consistently but at some 12 Mb less than forecast; I lived with this for 48 hours, then contacted CSC again and after getting me to perform various tests to confirm that it wasn’t my equipment, a fault was raised. I should add here that that my previous system had worked for a long time via Devolo Powerline adapters and I had consistently had a download speed of 10 MB both on wired and wireless. To prove it was not the Powerline plugs, we tried a laptop straight into the TG582N router but it made no difference and the same 12 MB shortfall was exactly the same with both wired and wireless again. At this point, CSC did some sort of ‘reset’ involving a ‘GEA Test Detail’ and arranged for a BT visit the following day. Several hours later, I noticed that my wireless speed on my Desktop had increased to what it should be (37Mb) but that that the wired was still running around 28MB. This rather pointed to the Powerline plugs, so I rang and cancelled the BT visit. I then connected the Laptop again directly to the router where I obtained 37MB on both wired and wireless. This is where I am now. Having thought long and hard about the matter I am wondering whether part of the problem was always the plugs which are 85Mbps type; could this be slowing down the speed and if so could it be rectified if I purchase some new powerline plugs with the 200/500 capacity? It is not practical to move the Desktop nearer the router. Two last points, I cannot speak too highly of the Guys and Gals in CSC who I have always found to be very helpful and patient; also regarding the wireless capabilities of the TG582N, which attracts quite a lot of criticism, so far in my house it seems to be working satisfactorily. I do hope this rather long epistle is useful and look forward to any comments following.
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Upgrading from Value to Essential Fibre

fwiw, 85 mbps powerline adapters can only transfer 'up to' 42.5 mbps in each direction, and that is being very 'optimistic'.  It is usually far lower in practise.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
robstreats
Grafter

Thanks, so is it reasonable to expect an increase in speed if I upgrade  plugs to 200/500 - I have been looking at the TP Link range.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have three of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ASJRQQY/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are connected at 337 Mbps and 279 Mbps currently.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
robstreats
Grafter

Hi Strat,
As I'll be replacing earlier Devolo plugs, I have no need of 'pass thru' so I presume that that version will perform in the same way as yours with 'pass thru'? Thanks for your interest - Robstreats
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Not having tried both side by side I have to assume the pass through facility has no effect on the ethernet speed.
Initially I had no real need for the mains power pass through but since then I have found it handy.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine