cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Upgrading firmware of Technicolor TG582n?

Similar to mine then  Wink
You can fairly easily do it yourself if you are fairly technically competent. I really am surprised at Plusnet pushing that version to you with the USB socket Shocked
You'll need 10.2.5.2.EO or FO firmware which you can find here. Read the Library article, in fact make a copy of it just in case it's not available next week for any reason. See the note about the tool version and that it applies to the TG582n. On later versions of Windows you will need to use compatibility mode.
If you made a lot of customisation to settings etc. I would take a backup config before you update BUT do not use that config file with the new firmware (there are incompatibilities). You will possibly find it useful as there will be entries in it you may be able to copy/paste into a config file from the new firmware but watch for compatibility of some of the CLI stuff. It's a file that can be edited in a plain text editor - not Wordpad or Word etc. It may be easier to do any customisation from scratch through the GUI again though depending on what you did.
Download the firmware and tool and Library article, and then go off-line to do it all. Once the new firmware is on there you need to select ADSL (not FTTC) on the first screen.
You'll also need to do the WANDownSpoofing fix. See this and the next few posts. Rather than use Telnet to do that fix though, once you've done a Config Backup with the new firmware you can edit it (plain text editor don't forget - I'd make another copy first with a different name in case something goes wrong) - look for WANDownSpoofing=enabled and change the enabled to disabled. Save the file then upload it back to the TG582n.
Once you've set it up, then go back on-line. If that's within your ability but you wan't more help, shout up. If not we'll have to get Plusnet to push the USB version to you.
Edit: Having made comment about original customisation, that 10.2.2.B update may have removed any that you did originally anyway Sad so back a up before updating may be pointless, unless you've customised since.
samwhite2

That is a great help thank you.
I'll do some reading and get it all downloaded this evening.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Anotherone
Champion

see my edit above. Also, how long a line are you on - what sort of sync speeds do you get?
samwhite2

Hi, all done and sucessful.
Thanks for the information.
Im not sure on my line length, how can i find out?
Is this the sync speeds?  :  Line Rate (Down / Up) 19479 Kbps / 1211 Kbps
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, not to worry if it's all done, judging by those speeds it's a shortish line. The DS Attenuation is the figure that'll determine the approximate length. I take it your hard drive is now accessible ok?
samwhite2

I think it is a shortish line. There is a green cabinet on the side of the road at the end of the street.
Yes, the hard drive is visible, I just need to sort out one windows 10 machine to be able to see it, but that is nothing to do with the router.
Shame the hard drive has to be formatted in FAT32, but not the end of the world.
I'll see what else I can tinker with now!
HappyDays
Hooked

1st time poster and resurrecting this thread. I've got quite a new computer running Win 10 but in trouble with slow loading web pages, or not connecting at all. I've asked about on the web and one resolution is possibly update the firmware in my TG582n and arrived here after googling it.

Could this be a resolution and how would I go about doing it?

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Maybe PN would give you a more up to date router - if you can get through to them!?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Mod -  I thought that the quote was relevant to a new poster and old thread. If you spent as much time sorting out the email as being picky over posters trying to be helpful.........   Hey, ho.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@TeeGee The Mods here are customers not staff.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HappyDays
Hooked

I take it that it is an old router then. Do you think it would make a difference getting a newer model?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's not a lot wrong with any of the TG582 firmware versions and the WAN connection. There are however a lot of issues with the wireless on it irrespective of the firmware version.

Exactly what is the issue you get, how are you connected to the router?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HappyDays
Hooked

Ok I'll try and give the short version. I have an old computer running vista which connected via ethernet and is running fine. The wifi is running fine(although it may be better if there's a problem with the router). Anyway I have a new much more powerful computer running windows 10 also connected with a cable but is incredibly slow connecting to websites if at all. Sometimes when they do load the whole website isn't loaded up.

I've tried a wifi dongle, still slow, I've tried linux, still slow. I've tried many different settings recommended on the net, still slow. I've done a full system restore so no 3rd party software is on it, still slow.

One suggestion was the firmware in the router and that's how I got here.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried configuring Windows 10 with the DNS servers directly?IPv4 DNS.jpg

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HappyDays
Hooked

No not tried that. Any instructions anywhere on how to do it?

Thanks.

Also why do you think my old comp is fine and the new one no good?