cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Plusnet Package

Stratix

Upgrading Plusnet Package

I have been a customer of Plusnet for years, and I am currently on a very old "Legacy" package that is no longer available. I am considering upgrading to a newer package, but I would like to know people's opinions on whether it is worth it or not.
My package is currently:
ADSL Home Surf.
My peak times are between 4pm to 12am.
I have a usage limit of 20GB a month. (Which I cannot upgrade due to legacy package)
I get "light" (heavy) restrictions on my speed once I hit 13GB usage a month. (60%)
I get massive restrictions on my speed once I hit the 20GB, which I have only done once, accedentally.
I cannot get ADSL 2 in my area. My max speed cannot reach the 8MB my current package offers, I think I get around 5MB.
I pay £18.58 a month for it.
What I would like to know is, is it worth upgrading to one of the new packages for me? Am I going to get anything more out of it? Do they have the same "light" restrictions when you get to 60% of your usage allowance anymore? I know the peak times for the newer packages are much worse than the ones I have, but if I don't get the irritating light restricitons with it, I reckon that balances out.
I hope I have given enough information, I would be really grateful to hear a few opinions.

7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Upgrading Plusnet Package

welcome to the forums, where have you been hiding?
my usualy source of info hasnt even heard of the package you are on, but the newer ones are here http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm the new packages peak time is from 08:00 to midnight so you would loose 8 hours off peak
Stratix

Thanks, that is a very interesting website to check, I'm interested to know what my current traffic shaping is. By the look of it, the only broadband that I would find useful out of the new packages would be the Pro one, as the others seem to be restricted pretty heavily. Seems a bit silly considering the speed people would otherwise be getting on ADSL 2.
Do you know if the Pro one gets any light restrictions before you hit it's 20GB usage allowance?
mal0z
Grafter

The PN Comms guys have all started their Christmas leave until they return on 29th - and they would be best to answer your question.
They may drop by here  from home if we are lucky - but in reality I think it might take a few days.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your current product is comparable to Broadband Premier, both in terms of usage and speed.
If the change in peak hours is manageable for you I'd recommend Pro. You get all traffic prioritised at all times (and usage is not counted between midnight and 8am).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Stratix
What I would like to know is, is it worth upgrading to one of the new packages for me? Am I going to get anything more out of it? Do they have the same "light" restrictions when you get to 60% of your usage allowance anymore? I know the peak times for the newer packages are much worse than the ones I have, but if I don't get the irritating light restrictions with it, I reckon that balances out.

None of the current packages have 'light' restrictions ahead of the peak-usage allowance (20GB for Plusnet Pro). So as Mand said the main question is whether the change in peak hours is manageable.
David
Stratix

Thank you for the replies, everyone, I am going to have a think about this and talk to the family.
Would I be put on a contract for a minimum number of months again? Or will I not need to have that again now I have already gone through it with the current package I am on? Not a huge problem but it would be nice to know.
EDIT: And also, can I get the free router being already part of plusnet? Or is that just for new customers? Our old one could do with an upgrade...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just changing product will still leave you on your current 10-day notice contract.
If you take a 'free' router you will be charged the full cost of the router if you leave within 12 months.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)