cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre

tonycollinet
Grafter

Upgrade to fibre

Well it's gonna be soon. Cheshire east BDUK Project are saying "from summer on" and the new PCP and fibre cabinets have been installed over the road. So thought I'd get prepared with some questions answered for when it is all switched on.
1 - Will I be able to initiate the upgrade using the product change function - or should I phone.
2 - I'll want the data extension cable/kit -

• 2a - Is it fee

• 2b - Will they take it through walls or should I drill the holes first?

• 2c - How long is it?

• 2d - Does it fit between socket and modem, or between modem and router?

3 - How long does the upgrade take from ordering?

4 - Should I expect any downtime?
Thanks all.
3 REPLIES 3
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Upgrade to fibre

1. i don't know for sure I wasn't a Plusnet member before i had Fibre but I would think you can just upgrade .
2a yes it's free
2b I believe the engineer should do any drilling etc himself although i'm not 100% sure of that i didn't require a data kit so mu install was pretty straight forward
2c can be up to 30m
2d it's for modem to master socket so if you can't have the modem next to the master socket maybe because there is not power sockets near it for it to use for example you can have it installed up to 30M away wit the data kit, then you need a Ethernet cable to connect the modem to your router wherever you install that.
3. 7-10 days i believe is the time frame that's if there are no delays like BTO engineers failing to turn up when booked or the order failing to go through for some reason. 
4. there is a little downtime on the day of the install when the engineer does work at the exchange and fibre cab before coming to you to do the rest of the install other than that there shouldn't be any.

2Senile
Grafter

No drilling, sadly.
I ordered the extension but ended up just getting the guy to staple my own Cat5 RJ11 cable to the woodwork & thread it thru existing holes.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi tonyAtplus,
1 - Will I be able to initiate the upgrade using the product change function - or should I phone.

You should be able to request the upgrade online without needing to call.
2 - I'll want the data extension cable/kit -
    2a - Is it fee
    2b - Will they take it through walls or should I drill the holes first?
    2c - How long is it?
    2d - Does it fit between socket and modem, or between modem and router?

Terranova is spot in in their answer re that

3 - How long does the upgrade take from ordering?
Being realistic it may be more than 7-10 days as the appointments offered are based on engineer availability at the time. A list of dates should be offered to you as part of the upgrade process.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team