cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre is slower download speed,

dave1240
Grafter

Upgrade to fibre is slower download speed,

I am around 2 days into my Fibre upgrade and have just tried downloading a amazon movie. When i was on adsl 8mb speed I got around 1mb download. I now have fibre 40mb speed and downloading at 500 kibs.
I know they is around 10 days stabilty test etc but does this sound about right?.

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upgrade to fibre is slower download speed,

if that speed test is at the same time - I haven't a clue why an Amazon Movie download should be so slow
dave1240
Grafter

Yeah, this is insane!. I have just tried a P2P download and i am getting 200 kbs this is 5x slower then my ADSL connection. I have 4 kindles, 4 mobile phones, 2 xbox 360, 2 laptops and 3 computers all wanting to stream and download.
The line speed is fine

I was thinking i am been put on a lower speed for downloading but i do not know. If this is the case I will cancel the fibre as soon as possible and go back onto ADSL.

tonycollinet
Grafter

That is sounding like you've been put onto one of the old style traffic management policies for downloading. Unfortunately comms team are unlikely to pick this up from the forums over the w/e. You may have to call them.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi dave1240,
Your Traffic Management profile is set correctly and from what I can see from our side, your connection appears to be connecting absolutely fine. What speeds do you get at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com?
dave1240
Grafter

Hello Chris, Sorry for the late reply i was hoping things would of sorted them self out by now.
I have ran that speed test and got 22.55 download, 16.15 upload, 28.75 latency.
I have tried downloading a torrent (Linux build), and got 600kbps  :'(. This is nearly half my adsl connection which was 8mb download.
Does this sound right ?. I cannot even stream movies from amazon film on the Xbox it is always going to low quality and buffering.
dave1240
Grafter

I have just started downloading Ubuntu as it's a direct download and i am getting a static 3.1mbps download.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No that doesn't sound right, your line, from the face of it looks absolutely fine (see attached).
What happens when you try to stream something from BBC iPlayer?