cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to TG582n - FTTC

Pazz
Grafter

Upgrade to TG582n - FTTC

Could anyone recommend a router as a decent upgrade to the Thomson TG582n?
Since being on the 80/20 trial I've noticed that the speeds are heavily restricted by WiFi quality. Is dual-band the best way to go? Also I've just added a NAS box to the network so would benefit from a Gigabit Ethernet capable switch.
Many thanks for any views or recommendations.
So far I've found:
- Netgear WNDR3700
- Draytek 2830n (expensive)
- Draytek 2850n (VDSL support but VERY expensive)
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Upgrade to TG582n - FTTC

I use a Fritz!Box7390 direct on the VDSL but that's in the 'silly' price range for a router, it all really depends what you want (and what you can afford/want to pay).
ASUS seem to have a good reputation for good Wi-Fi on recent models if that's your main requirement then check the RT-N56U and similar.
The Wi-Fi card on your PC (and the driver/settings) can also have a bearing on the maximum speed you get.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gareth6
Grafter

Yeah I'm in the same boat, that router sucks!!!  Angry
You might want to add the TP-Link N600 (3 removal aerial's, gigabit switch, 2x usb ports and it's ~£50). I'll let you know how it is early next week.
Pazz
Grafter

Thanks for the replies so far.
@w23 what were the main advantages to go with the Friz!Box7390? The VDSL capability would at the very least free up some space in the office, but are there any other benefits?
The gigaE is the biggest issue I have at the moment so that's a must.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Kind of too much to list but ThinkBroadband recently did a review: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fritzbox-7390.html
The biggest thing for most people is the built-in VOIP / Analogue DECT telephone functions with the possibility of programming automatic selection of which service to use acording to the number dialed (you can set rules for International, Standard, Mobile based on the first part of the number dialled), I can also use my Android phone to pick up VIOP and Landline calls from the router via wi-fi (and to make calls) using a Fritz app.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.