cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to FTTC --- could it be slower than ADSL?

Fifer
Grafter

Upgrade to FTTC --- could it be slower than ADSL?

I was thinking about upgrading to FTTC but on checking the BT checker it might not give me much better speeds than i have on ADSL2+
Results of the checker.
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 38.3 30 7.8 6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 32.2 17 7.8 4.6 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 13 -- 7.5 to 17.5 Available
ADSL2+ sync rate i have now is.
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 1231
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 1912
As there is no going back to ADSL after upgrading to fibre, would i be better staying on ADSL2+ ?Huh
Ron.

7 REPLIES 7
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Upgrade to FTTC --- could it be slower than ADSL?

Hi Ron,
The ranges you're seeing are reflective of both a clear line and an impacted one. You're right to be cautious as there is a chance that you could hit the lowest estimate in the impacted range however there would be more of a chance that you would sit closer to the middle of the estimate or possibly up in the higher reaches of the clean line.
It is a bit of a gamble however you can always move back to ADSL if you need to (although there could be some costs attached dependant on the package you take) though if you fall below the lowest speed estimate you should be able to do this for free.
UPDATE
You could also use this and this in order to estimate the line length and you should be able to work out a rough guide to the speeds you could expect.
edited to add in the correct links
Fifer
Grafter

Thanks Adam for the information and links to the guides for an estimate on speeds i might get. As you say it would be a bit of a gamble and not being a gambling man i think i will upgrade from the 10Gb package to the unlimited ADSL as i am now using the internet more.
What department do i speak to if i phone up and see if i can get a good offer on ADSL unlimited? and when is the best time to phone?
Ron 
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi Ron,
Our Customer Services team would be best placed to help you in this respect. You can reach them on 0800 432 0200, options (1, 1, telephone number, # 1, 1).
You can see our customer support stats here. This should give a rough guide to wait times when you choose to call.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Adam
UPDATE
You could also use this and this in order to estimate the line length and you should be able to work out a rough guide to the speeds you could expect.
Those links are not much use as they are ADSL distance to exchange
The only way to estimate the distance to the cab is to measure it
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Fifer

ADSL2+ sync rate i have now is.
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 1231
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 1912

Is that a typo?
downstream 1912 Kbps == 1.9Mbps
Even your worst estimated FTTC speed beats that by miles Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given the upstream is 1,231kbps I suspect the downstream is 19,120kbps and in which case I wouldn't bother going to fibre
Edit - I am correct on my assumption http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131428.msg1147642.html#msg1147642
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
It is a typo, the downstream is 19,120 and as you say i think staying with ADSL is the better option.  I have just phoned Customer Services and been given a very good deal on unlimited on a longer contract, also taken the LRS on the telephone.  The total call time for this was just over 10 minutes, so no long wait to be answered and i must say i am very pleased with the offer and the Customer Services.
Thanks to all for the help and advice.
Ron