cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ADSL2+ and router

garywood84
Rising Star

Upgrade to ADSL2+ and router

I have just received an email from PN advising that the local telephone exchange has been upgraded to 21CN and that within the next five weeks I'll be upgraded to ADSL2+ and see a speed increase from my current 8Mbps to up to 24Mbps.
I currently connect through a Netgear DG814 modem router, which I've had since I first had my line provisioned for broadband.  Can anyone confirm whether or not this router will support the newer ADSL2+ connection?  I can't seem to find this information online anywhere.
Many thanks,
Gary
6 REPLIES 6
jkerr82508
Grafter

Re: Upgrade to ADSL2+ and router

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yours isnt on that list, but PN will supply a Thompson for £4.99 P&P  only condition is that you stay for a year, it will cost you arounf £40 if you leave early
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see this link about the Thompson  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,93867.msg787384.html#new ; there is a much bigger one, but this short one gives the salient parts
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks for this.  Looking around a bit more online, it seems the DG814 isn't ADSL2+ compatible Cry  I need a DG834.
So, my next question: what will happen when the upgrade to my line takes place if I still have the DG814?  Will I get no service, or will it just be slower than the ADSL2+ limit?  Perhaps I should look to get the DG834 sooner rather than later, to be prepared.  Would raising a help ticket get PN to put the request for my line upgrade in quicker than just waiting in the queue, as it's done with speed upgrades in the past?
Gary
PS: Thanks to the links for the Thompson router, pierre_pierre.  I think I'd probably buy my own router, though (the DG834), for two reasons.  First, all my network hardware is Netgear and it has never given me any trouble; and second, I don't want a wireless router.  I deliberately chose to have a separate wireless access point because that way I can turn the wireless off when I'm not using it.
garywood84
Rising Star

Anyone?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If you have a router that Is not ADSL2+ compatible don't worry you will still be able to use the net as normal till you can get one, I would suggest you get one ASAP though because ( And I may be wrong here ) I think you will be In a 10 day training period again for a stable line.
Edit, The router will sync at best 8128 down.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.