cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Extra to Unlimited - is it worth it?

Neo
Grafter

Upgrade from Extra to Unlimited - is it worth it?

PlusNet rang and said they could save me £1.50  Roll_eyes a month if I changed from 'PlusNet Extra' [£11.49 pcm] to 'Unlimited (contract)' [£9.99 pcm]. I looked at the traffic profiling and that was slightly better in fact; so I was wondering: what are the downsides or catches (apart from entering a 12 month contract)?
I have read most of this: http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml
If I decided to cancel/migrate halfway through the 12 months (of the Unlimited contract), would that count as during the 'initial term'? Would there be any fees?
I've been on a rolling monthly contract for about 9 years!  Huh Shame long term customers aren't able to benefit from the introductory £2.50 pcm (12 months) for new customers Undecided
Theoretically the SNR, connection speed etc should be left untouched, but I have seen others on the forum mention unexpected issues after changing products...
Oh, and I noticed this:
[quote="Plusnet"]Take any Plusnet phone package and we'll reduce your monthly broadband price by £2.50 for as long as you keep your phone line with us.
So what about BB customers who have already added a phone package - shouldn't they receive the same discount?
Would I save money by cancelling and then re-applying for a phone package? Crazy
Thanks in advance for all replies  Wink
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Upgrade from Extra to Unlimited - is it worth it?

If you didn't have your phone with Plusnet the cost of your Extra broadband product would have increased by £1.50 per month from 01/10/2013 to £12.99 per month. So existing customers with phone already pay the discounted price.
Without a phone Unlimited costs £12.49 per month and the £9.99 quoted to you is the discounted price.
The only downside of changing from Extra to Unlimited is the 12 month contract. Those 12 months count as the initial term for migration/ cancellation purposes. As you say the product change should have no effect on speeds. The change affects only settings in Plusnet's internal systems. The PPP (internet) session will drop for a few seconds for the changed traffic management profile to take effect but there is no need for sync with the exchange to be lost.
However rather than paying the standard price for Unlimited on a 12 month contract, if you are prepared to accept a longer contract giving the Customer Options Team a call on 0330 123 9197 could be worthwhile. They are available Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm.
David
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, spraxyt Smiley
Quote from: spraxyt
If you didn't have your phone with Plusnet the cost of your Extra broadband product would have increased by £1.50 per month from 01/10/2013 to £12.99 per month. So existing customers with phone already pay the discounted price.
I wasn't aware of that, but £1.50 is still not £2.50. Shouldn't I be charged £10.49 then, if the full price is £12.99? Undecided
Without a phone Unlimited costs £12.49 per month and the £9.99 quoted to you is the discounted price.
I thought that particular £2.50 discount was for the 12 month contract (rather than for a phone package - see attached image below)?
However rather than paying the standard price for Unlimited on a 12 month contract, if you are prepared to accept a longer contract giving the Customer Options Team a call on 0330 123 9197 could be worthwhile. They are available Monday to Friday 9.00am - 8.00pm (except Bank Holidays) and Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm.
Thanks for the advice - they said they would ring again to see if I wanted to change. If it means the risk of being charged for migrating in the future I'm not so sure...I'll see what sort of discount they will offer for a longer term.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The system knows your phone is currently with Plusnet so quotes broadband prices on that basic. Without phone and without a contract the monthly cost would be £5 more..
The £2.50 discount for phone applies to the current Unlimited and Essentials (+/- fibre) products only. For the legacy Extra and Value (+/- fibre) products the discount is £1.50.
The Plusnet Extra / Extra Fibre Archive page is the official source of this information.
David
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for clarifying that.
In the end I went with the upgrade to Unlimited for 12 months, with the knowledge it would revert to a rolling monthly contract again afterwards.
This was mainly down to the agent's persistence rather than any savings. I just want a stable line at a reasonable speed, 60GB bandwidth was enough.
I'd prefer it if Plusnet just emailed customers about these offers and savings and then let people read through all the literature, terms and conditions and small print before agreeing to anything. They only run through the notes on the phone regarding cancellation fees (per number of months remaining etc) after you agree  Undecided