cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Solutions for speed

Zap
Grafter

Upgrade Solutions for speed

I am stuck on an exchange that is not going to get updated anytime soon, so what are my options.
I thought that there was a faster Plusnet package that was unlimited but had only 20gb of bandwidth, but is seems to have gone.
If I upgraded to a business package would I get faster broadband, they have a 50gb package which costs £5 more a month but I get "Upload speeds up to 1Mb", I am just wondering if there is a better contention on the business product?
The speed is variable with my current package from dire to bearable, the fact that it is faster after midnight suggests that the traffic management is part of the issue.
Has anyone here moved to business and got a speed improvement?
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upgrade Solutions for speed

Assuming your exchange is 21CN enabled then you may be able to get better speeds on the standard Value or Extra packages with the Pro addon.
However you will need to give some more information if you want a sensible recommendation.
What package are you on at present
Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation
Is your exchange 21CN enabled
What are you using to measure the speeds - speed tests or downloading files
Have you looked here to check the degree of traffic shaping on the various packages http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also remember the quoted figures for business packages don't include VAT so bare that in mind when comparing with residential packages.
Plusnets cut-off speed for moving to 21CN ADSL2+ is 4Mbs. If your current speeds are below 4Mbs then 21CN ADSL2+ is not an option.

Zap
Grafter

Hi Jim
"I am stuck on an exchange that is not going to get updated anytime soon, so what are my options."
So no 21cn, more like 17cn!
I am on Extra
I usually use speed test but I checked the BT wholesale, at your suggestion in this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98387.0.html
Recent tests

In the last thread the BT test showed my connection rate at
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)  IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
and my router mirrored this at the time with  
Up Speed   448000
Down Speed   7616000
SNR Margin   12.0  
Loop Att.17.0
But now the router is worse

Up Speed          448000
Down Speed 6816000
SNR Margin 9.5
Loop Att.17.0
I noticed the SNR margin is lower, but I do not know the significance of this or how to fix it
I did contact Plusnet about your suggestion to ask for interleaving to be switched off, but they came back with a message saying it would make it more unreliable so I was going to come back here and check your thoughts.
I did another BT test today and it says  
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4437 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6816 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps
So it appears I have been downgraded to 5mb and my connection rate is 6816.
So I am in a worse place than I was when I last posted.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would rather stay with Plusnet but I need more speed, if paying for business with VAT on top would get me there I would do it.  There is no hope of 21cn or ADSL2 or any upgrades in the exchange.

Zap
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Also remember the quoted figures for business packages don't include VAT so bare that in mind when comparing with residential packages.
Plusnets cut-off speed for moving to 21CN ADSL2+ is 4Mbs. If your current speeds are below 4Mbs then 21CN ADSL2+ is not an option.

That is interesting, a friend was on Talk Talk and had a dire line performance (0.5mb)  Talk Talk blamed the wiring between the house and cabinet (some sort of shared copper) they said BT Wholesale would charge them £1000 to fix it but BT would do it free if they were a BT Customer.
The BT tests suggested that they would get 3mb if they moved up to 24mb, not a lot but 600% better than what they had.
They put up with it for a couple of years and then decided to move to Plusnet, they called Talk Talk to give them one more chance and they upgraded the line to Fibre and I gather changed wiring as part of that upgrade, they now have between 8gb and 12gb.
What you are saying is that if they had gone with Plusnet, because their ADSL speed was below 3gb they would not be upgraded?
Zap
Grafter

Just tided up my cables to see if there was anything here, now it is worse
Up Speed 448000
Down Speed 6752000
SNR Margin 10.0
Loop Att. 17.0
jkevin

Quote from: Peter

That's news to me. I've just been moved to ADSL2+ and my speed was 750k! Now slightly  better at 940k but hoping for more as I'm still in the training period.
Kevin
Zap
Grafter

Any ideas
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Zap,
Your line could probably go quicker. Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Can you plug into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
Zap
Grafter

Hi Jo
It was just a few weeks ago I was on here complaining because it was rated at 7.6 and you had it at 6.5, now it is rated at 6.5 and you are providing 5.
I think it might have been because I was away.
In the post http://community.plus.net...ex.php/topic,98387.0.html
Jim suggested asking for interleaving to be switched off but your techs told me it would make things worse, so i did not go ahead.
Are you able to get me re-synched or rated so I can at least get back to where I was?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding interleaving - that would be when your sync speed was 7616kbps (maximum for an interleaved line) but since then your speed has dropped significantly so switching interleaving off won't help and may indeed make it worse.
Before doing anything else you need to find out why your speed has dropped and fixing it - easier said than done  Sad
Zap
Grafter

It might be because I was rebooting a bit to try and get to the bottom of the problem I was having with my wireless router
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99105.0.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I doubt it as the noise margin has actually reduced
Up Speed  448000
Down Speed  7616000
SNR Margin  12.0
Loop Att.17.0
But now the router is worse

Up Speed            448000 
Down Speed  6816000 
SNR Margin  9.5 
Loop Att.17.0
Zap
Grafter

So what makes that happen?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Can you plug into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley