cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating firmware in Netgear DG834Gv2 Router

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Updating firmware in Netgear DG834Gv2 Router

I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 Router that I'm not using because it has developed a fault. I dont know what the fault is, though the symptoms are (1) it doesn't seem to be able to see the web, (2) since I tried pressing the reset to factory settings button, it doesn't ask for a username or password before showing the settings, and (3) it allows me to go through the process of changing settings, but doesn't accept them.
I have tried downloading the latest version of firmware for it (on another pc and router), and I was planning to transfer that download on a memory stick to my pc to install in my router. Unfortunately, the download complains about my search engine (IE8) although IE8 is on the Netgear list of usable engines. Searching the web, it seems others have had the same problem - the download complained about the search engine. There was someone who suggested to that other person with the same download problem as me that they use a different link (which this person supplied). The other person did use it, and they got a download, but when they installed it, it made their router unusable. Even the recovery download wouldn't work so they binned their router.
I would like to get this router working again if I can, so if anyone has any suggestion, I would be very grateful to hear from them.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Updating firmware in Netgear DG834Gv2 Router

If you've not already been there, check out
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/other/
and enter
DG834Gv2
in the search bar
There's a whole load of downloads there including the missing manuals.
For upgrading use "DG834 and DG834G Firmware Version 3.01.31 (for use in UK only)"
There's also the "DG834G Router Recovery Utility"
BUT
Being an Americant website, before you can download the Firmwares, it requires registration before you can download their client experience
What ever you place in the boxes is up to you.
Happy landings
For super [linux] geeks check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_DG834_%28series%29
or google
"netgear debug mode dg834g"
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have 2 3 suggestions:
1. Use "compatibility mode" in IE.
2. Open up the case and look inside. Older Netgear routers often suffer from blown capacitors.
3. Check the power supply and/or try another. They can degrade producing reduced voltage or current or both.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Thunderclap. That is where I went originally, but I had selected a different download from that group. The one you suggested downloaded without problem.
Thanks HPsauce. I have looked inside the router, but can see no problem with any capacitors - no burning or bulging, etc. I haven't checked the psu yet. Will have to see what I can do about that.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Thunderclap
Being an Americant website, before you can download the Firmwares, it requires registration before you can download their client experience
What ever you place in the boxes is up to you.
No need, there's a "continue without registration" link, small but underlined, just to the right of the main button highlighted in red.  Wink
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
No need, there's a "continue without registration" link, small but underlined, just to the right of the main button highlighted in red

Thanks HP!!!! I was a little too small for my very little screen.
The version 3.01.31download is the one needed in the UK for any copper Broadband as this does all of that ADSL2 stuff.
The factory default firmware may not sync with the exchange at the speeds expected.
If all the lights are flickering, then it sounds okay. I  assume the i light is blinking orange?
Also, you can try to listen in on the router. When you listen on a handset [ press # to defeat the dial tone for a moment ] you might hear the router sending it's sync tones. That proves something is working. You can also try unpluging all of the telelphones, just in case a phone is doing something odd to your broadband signal strength.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I downloaded both zip files that Thunderclap suggested on a different pc, with the intension of transferring them to my pc on a CD. When I started copying both files to the CD the process brought up messages about them being connected to other files which might be lost if I continued with the copy. Is this just a standard warning that can be ignored in this case, or am I doing the whole thing the wrong way?
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Ignore my previous post. I have been allowed to connect my router to the computer that I did the firmware download onto, in place of the router normally used there.
The installation seems to have worked. The various LEDs seem to be illuminated correctly, including the Internet LED (on all of the time), but what do I need to do to set the router up? Its been a long time since I last did it, and I don't remember the various actions I need to do.
I'm grateful for any help.
Thanks
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Everything up and running now. Thanks for the help
HalfShaft
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Since you are well versed in updating the firmware you may want to look into the DGTeam firmware.  Looks and works just about the same but has alot more settings for the tinkerer.
HPsauce
Pro

But no longer available, unless you know someone who has saved a relevant copy.
TORPC
Grafter

Try
http://www.dgteam-mirror.talktalk.net/Home.html as the link still works at the time of this post

image hosting 30 mb
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The DGTeam firmware had none of the interesting ADSL settings for the v3 (v1, v2 and v3 all Texas Instruments chipset based) so I don't think it's worth bothering with. Also the DGTeam source code doesn't seem to be available, it wouldn't have been possible to create a customised firmware without netgear releasing the source code as they were required to do under the GPL, but presumably the DGTeam didn't understand or decided to ignore the GPL and open source.