cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual reconnection issues

happyhog
Dabbler

Unusual reconnection issues

Recently, I've been having an issue when trying to reconnected a dropped ADSL link. It appears to be that my reconnection attempt fails to complete a lot of the time. One thing that I've noticed in the logs is that if I receive a CHAP challenge with name="bras-red5.gi-b" then the connection attempt hangs for a while and then gives up. If I receive a CHAP challenge from anything else (I've had "JUNOS" and "PCL-AG0" recently) then the connection goes through fine.
Anyone any ideas what's up?
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Unusual reconnection issues

It's difficult to know what might be causing the problem. I think that when it works, you'll get one log entry with something from BTWholesale (that starts with bras- in your case, others might have acc-), followed by one from Plusnet (PTN, PTW, PCL or JUNOS). It could be that the BTWholesale network didn't pass on your connection to Plusnet, or it could just as easily be that Plusnet didn't receive and handle it successfully.
If something caused your ADSL link to drop, then whatever caused that might still be present shortly after the ADSL re-connects, packet loss can sometimes cause the PPP connection to fail, so I suppose packet loss could also interfere with the reconnection attempt. So the reconnection difficultly could be due to same thing that's causing your ADSL to drop.
happyhog
Dabbler

Re: Unusual reconnection issues

@ejs: Thank you for the reply. Looking at my historical logs I can see that what you say does seem to match with what's happened before. Usually less than 1 second after my ppp client responds to a CHAP challenge from "bras-red5.gi-b", I get a CHAP challenge from something different which then succeeds. Recently though the process sometimes just stops after the first CHAP challenge, with no "from plusnet" CHAP challenge received.
I've made two changes now, I've changed the "backoff" time from 15s to 45s to give more time for "something on the other end" to clear. I've also disabled "automatic hardware setup" on my account; it may not be interfering but it cannot possibly be doing anything helpful for me as I have set  up all my connection details in [tt]/etc/peers/...[/tt] and it's all working fine when it does work.
For clarity, some of my recent ADSL disconnects have been me fiddling in preparation for Fibre (still hasn't happened). I've changed my modem and made a few configuration changes requiring a modem reboot. Reconnecting hasn't been as seamless as I'd hoped.