cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable Internet. Work going on in area.

Grainfoot
Dabbler

Unusable Internet. Work going on in area.

Our internet speed has been 5.5 Mbps for the last few years. Humax tv box laptops all working well at that speed. Last two month and now we can barely use anything, constant crashes buffering on tv box speed very erratic and always now in the threes or fours ocasionaly lower.

Work is being carried out in our area Bradwell, Hope Valley with fibre but we are not on the radar at moment apparently fibre is taking a different route! In this area.

should our broadband speed be affected by this because for the last two months it has not been fit for purpose just unusable.

4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Unusable Internet. Work going on in area.

I think you need to rule out it being your connection, not the works.

Do you know someone (a neighbour I am thinking) who you can ask to test?

If theirs is fine by them you may have a fault.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Whether or not it is due to fibre work in the area is totally irrelevant. You have a problem, period.

Have you done basic fault finding checks? If not remove the front section of your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket. Plug a wired phone in here (no filter) and start with a quiet line check by ringing 17070 and selecting option 2. If there's any noise on the line then report a phone fault, not broadband fault, to whoever supplies your telephone service. Until this is fixed you will never get a decent broadband connection.

if this is OK then plug a filter into the test socket and connect your router. Connect your router to a computer via a wired Ethernet cable and run a speed test. If this shows that you are getting substandard speed then report a broadband fault. If the speed is OK with this arrangement then your problem lies within your property and is your resposibililty to fix. 

If you get this far and it does appear to be your internal set up then come back and more advice will be forthcoming. Do let us know how you get on anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just to reiterate pretty much what @Baldrick1 said.

It could possibly be the works, but 2 months is a long time which would make me suspect a fault. It may have occurred as a result of the works and has not gone away, or it could be just a coincidence it happened at the same time. Just don't fall into the trap of doing nothing and assuming it will go away. It might, but it might not.

Do the tests which have been suggested including the 17070 option 2 Quiet Line Test as a start.

Let us know how you get on.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Grainfoot

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband connection.

After testing the line, I have not detected an external fault and all the settings appear to be correct. Can you kindly run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

Are you noticing the issue solely on wireless devices or wired as well?

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional