cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsure if fault with line speed?

sihaworth
Dabbler

Unsure if fault with line speed?

I had plusnet installed at the start of the month. Openreach guy commented that the speeds I were getting were near the absolute maximum offered, 78 down and 20 up. He seemed quite surprised but  I double checked that's what I was getting after doing a tests on speedtest.com. It was maxing out my usenet connection as well, so I was suitably chuffed as the plusnet estimate had been around 56mb.
Problem is, that wonderful 78mb has dropped to 56mb. Ordinarily, that would have been fine except for the fact I know the line can achieve 78mb. Nothing has changed at home in terms of where the router is so I'm a bit confused.
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
MORLEY
Estimated line speed:
55Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-09 22:43:57
Current line speed:
78 Mb

http://i.imgur.com/rATbYXc.png
Any help much appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Unsure if fault with line speed?

Hi there,
first just FYI you can attach .jpgs, pngs & pdfs to a post rather than use an external server where things can disappear. To add an attachment to a post, if you didn't use the Reply button, when you've typed the message, click on Preview, then below the box you'll see the + Additional Options and Attachments..., click on the 'plus' then Browse to where you saved the .jpg
For the BTw speedtester Diagnostic, you can just do a Copy and Paste rather than grab a graphic.
If you look at the results it tells you the BT IP profile for your connection, which is 69.75Mbps which is still above the estimate. The actual sync speed on FTTC is the Profile x1.033, so for you it's 72.05Mbps . You will likely have synced at the full 80Mbps on initial connection, but all lines will eventually encounter some noise and longer lines are more likely to encounter more and DLM increases the SNRM which results in less speed. This has been especially noticed when there are few users on a particular Cabinet when first connected - as the number connected increase so does the noise due to crosstalk between lines.
As far as your Current Line speed (Login required) is concerned which should equal the BT IP Profile, the 78Mbps is the Initial default value on 80/20 and hasn't yet updated, this is a separate issue being looked at.
The speedtest result of 56.94Mbps will undoubtedly be due to some congestion as the test was run at a peak time, and in any event may only be a passing dip. You should never rely on just one speedtest result. The best thing to do is carry out several tests on a variety of testers at off peak times. Find which testers give the most consistent results for you - they don't necessarily have to have identical figures. Include the BTw tester.
If you now get an abnormal result when running a test you can do several repeats and if the same, try your alternative testers. Speedtesters can get congested at busy times - also don't rely on the BTw ping result. If you are getting consistently low results from several testers at peak times then you should come and report it.
HTH.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sihaworth,
Does seem very odd. The profile on our side is currently at 78000 so won't be causing any slowdown, and from what I can see the BT profile is currently at 69749 so you should be getting a fair bit better than 56Mb/s. Have things improved at all since your post above on the 24th?
Anotherone
Champion

Ha, I just re-read everything and have noticed I forgot to ask if the speedtests themselves were wired or wireless. You need to run them wired to check your connection.
sihaworth
Dabbler

Apologies for the delay in replying. I've been out the country on holiday.
I've just run some speed tests and again, I'm only getting roughly 56Mb/s down, upload speed seems to vary but is near enough to 20Mb/s. Just to confirm also this is through a wired connection.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Your sync speeds is currently at 60Mb/s so you're seeing the correct speed test results. Your line currently has a profile that is set at 70Mb/s by the Dynamic Line Management so your speeds would not go over that.
I'd suggest running a speedtest at at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run further diagnostics.
sihaworth
Dabbler

Apologies, I'm confused about that last post.
Are you saying there is an issue with current speed, or that it looks okay?
Anotherone
Champion

There's a profile band which DLM will set depending on the line conditions it finds, and Chris seems to be saying the upper limit for your line is currently 70Mbps, whereas your current profile which is determined by your current sync speed is around 60Mbps.
You aren't switching off or rebooting the BT Openreach Modem by any chance are you?
If log in to the Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait 30 seconds then click Connect, this should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds.
Then run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Most lines will initially sync at a high speed until the noise condtions for the line have been assessed and adjusted by the DLM, which unfortunately usually means some reduction in speed.
sihaworth
Dabbler

The modem has been switched off once since installation, when I moved it behind the tele.
I'll follow those instructions and see where we get - thank you!
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure the Modem has good ventilation and avoid switching it off or rebooting it. If it really becomes necessary to switch it off, Log into the Router and drop the PPP session first. Click Disconnect to drop the PPP(oE) Internet session. Wait about a minute and power down the Router. Wait about a minute and power down the Modem. Leave the Modem off for an hour minimum. Switch it on again in daylight hours (noise levels tend to be lower). Wait until all the lights have stabilised and sync is established. Power up the Router. Log in and click Connect to establish a new PPP session. This should hopefully avoid the wrath of DLM thinking you have a problem connection.
sihaworth
Dabbler

BT Wholesale performance test:
Download speed : 57.07
Upload speed : 15.50
Ping latency : 38ms
Download speedachieved during the test was - 57.07 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-58.81 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 58.81 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.5Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

sihaworth
Dabbler

So my maximum achievable speed has dropped down again from 69mb to 58.81mb.
Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Sounds like it might have gone ~69 to ~ 60 to 58.81. DLM doing it's thing. Lets hope it stops there for you.
sihaworth
Dabbler

Is it possible that Plusnet can reset this back to the original speed?
The performance of it has been flawless, since day 1. Not really sure why DLM finds the need to keep reducing the speed.
Anotherone
Champion

That's the way DLM works and on Fibre, Openreach will not do line resets willy nilly where there seems no good reason.The response here would undoubtedly be well it's still performing better than estimate. Even if it was reset DLM would adjust it down again if it found (which it will) similar line conditions.