cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable service - alternative product? Changed title from original post re 220V

mikesin
Grafter

Unstable service - alternative product? Changed title from original post re 220V

I recently discontinued a second line in my house over which I had been running a BT220V and generally getting around 1.5 - 1.7 MB.
I installed Plusnet upto 2MB on my original phone line and all set up fine - but I have consistently only achieved 1.2MB.
I have managed to unlock the 220V and can connect to the plusnet link and the BT 220V reports as connected with speed of 1.5 - I would like to run a comparison speed test on this service but when ever I try to get to google or a speed test site I end up on the home page for the speedtouch router with 'not connected' - can someone point me in the right direction so that I can get to google ?
Thanks
Mike
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Using a BT 220V instead of Speedtouch

Hi Mike,
The only reason that should ever happen is if the router is not connecting, sounds obvious I know but we do need to look at the basics first. When you say you wish to perform a comparison speed test are you referring to trying both lines at once to compare them to each other? Otherwise I would assume that you mean that you wish to try connecting with the 220V then the speed touch on the same line to see how they compare.
If it is a case of the latter I would advise you to go straight to the link for 'broadband connection'  when you get redirected to the speed touch home page then clicking 'view more' next to internet connection and making sure you have the correct login details entered.
Alternatively if you take a look at the top of the router and see that the broadband light is out you may not have it connected to the line correctly so please check the physical connections according to what we sent you. If however you are trying to test both lines at once and are having problems it could just be that the original line has been disconnected.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikesin
Grafter

Adam,. thanks for response and I will try to be clearer.
I have plusnet running ok on my existing line but only at 1.2MB. I previously had BT running on a second line (from the same exchange) which I have now discontinued. I used to get 1.5 - 1.7MB on this now discontinued line . I have eliminated my house wiring (by testing from the main socket) as a factor in the lower speed and I therefore wanted to try the BT 220V on the line which now has broadband from plusnet to see if this (BT220V)  would give a higher speed
I therefore unlocked my 220V, disconnected the speedtouch, connected the 220V to the line through the same ADSL filter and when the 220V control page said ready to connect, established  a broadband connection - Power, DSL and ethernet lights all on.
But when I try to get to any web page I end up on the speedtouch not connected page -
http://dsldevice.lan/cgi/b/ic/connect/?nm=1&client=192.168.1.64&server=66.102.9.104&event=ServerConn...

do I have to change any parameters in the 220V to make it connect to the plusnet internet gateway server ( if that is the correct terminology)?

Thanks
Mike
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you entered your Plusnet broadband username and account password into the 220V? Those will need changing from their values when you connected to BT Internet.
David
mikesin
Grafter

Yes, my userid (mikesin@plusdsl.net) and my password which is the same as the one that I use to access this forum. What ISP specific information does a router contain?
Update 11.21
I connected successfully using a laptop and the 220V to the plusnet broadband service and ran a speedtest.
I am achieving a consistent 1.2Mb download - I have therefore to assume that the BT line although it comes from the same exchange has a lesser quality - is there anything that could be done to improve the speed to around  1.5 or 1.7 (or even 2Mb)   
I have eliminated house wiring, router and computer.   
thanks
Mike
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi again Mike,
I'm not sure if you still have the 220V plugged in at present but it appears that the problems may be more related to stability than anything else as a number of short connections have been logged over the past 24 hours which may have lower connection profile being set against your line which is pushing the speeds down to around the 1.2mb levels you mention.
You seem to have had your longest connection between 18:37 on the 20th up until 10:59 today so if the speed touch router was connected during that time it may be your best bet. To help things along I have performed an SNR (signal to noise ratio) reset. This should restart the 10 day line training period and set a new maximum stable rate which should be higher than the current 1440kbps and more towards the 1500mbs we would expect for your line, bear with us as this should lead to some improvement over that period for you, once this has done a better line profile should be achievable for you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikesin
Grafter

Hi Adam
yes the speedtouch was connected during the times you mention and is now connected again.
I will leave it for another 10 days as you suggest and perform a speedtest around 3 april - thanks for responding
mike 
mikesin
Grafter

Having waited the suggested 10 days I now find that I am again experiencing poor speeds. During one speed test about 8 days ago I did see 1.4Mbps download but on 3/4/2010 during the day only achieved 0.3Mbps - today at at 0620 0.9Mbps - results here -
Nothing has been changed within the home setup during this period - what is the next step to achieving something approaching the 2Mb that was suggested I might see?
thanks  Mike
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Poor broadband speed - changed post title from original ref to BT220V

Can you post your line stats:-
link to obtain Router line stats

and the result from a BT performance test:-
link to BT Performance Tester

Edit > what router are you using just now, the TG585 v7?
mikesin
Grafter

Router Stats
Uptime: 2 days, 23:15:40

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,504

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Type: PPPoA

Uptime: 2 days, 23:16:20

IP Address: 87.112.170.6

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 34.21 / 965.18

BT Speedtest

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
725 Kbps

0 Kbps 1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 725 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1504 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

I am using speedtouch st516 router
thanks
mike

Apprentice
Grafter

With your current sync rate/speed 1504Kbps your IP profile will move up to 1250Kbps in a a few days providing the connection doesn't cause the router to resync at a lower rate.
Unfortunately the line stats are incomplete in that we need to see the Attenuation and SNR Margin/SNR figures for the line to get a better idea of what to expect from it.
mikesin
Grafter

I hope this was a help and not a hindrance ? I powered up and plugged in my BT220V and once it had connected ran a BER test and also noted the line attenuation figures ...
Tested Time 20 Total Transferred Bits 16229760 Total Error Bits 0 Error Ratio 0.00e+00

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time  
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:00:03:10  
Line Coding Trellis Off Line Up Count 1  

Statistics Downstream Upstream  
Line Rate 896 Kbps 448 Kbps  
Noise Margin 8.3 dB 16.0 dB  
Line Attenuation 62.0 dB 31.5 dB  
Output Power 15.1 dBm 11.9 dBm
I am now back on with the sppedtouch

thanks
Mike
Apprentice
Grafter

Didn't know you would have to swop routers  Smiley
The downstream attenuation of 62dB shows you have a long line to the exchange, the default noise margin is set at 6dB so your downstream nm is 8.3dB perhaps due to some noise or changing routers however as long as the line is stable and there are no more resyncs as happened before then that figure should get lower in a few days.
For some reason Line coding is Trellis Off I would have thought with the 62dB attenuation figure that Trellis would have been On as it usually benefits speed on the longer lines, maybe it's because you are on a Max ADSL product and not fixed speed.
Don't know if you can get Trellis switched On you would need to ask Plusnet who may need to contact BT.
You should be able to get an IP profile of 1250Kbps once your sync rate gets above 1440Kbps, to get a 1.5 IP profile the sync rate would need to be over 1728Kbps hard to say whether that would lead to a stable connection.
You could be better off with a fixed speed 2Meg connection (2272Kbps Down and 288kbps Up) if you have regular resyncs with the Max ADSL BB product as time goes on.
mikesin
Grafter

Thanks for information - I will leave it for a few days to see if it improves but I have my doubts. - A further question if I may - you refer to a fixed 2Mb service - can I get this from plusnet or is it a product offered by other (more expensive) ISPs ?
thanks
Mike
Apprentice
Grafter

A further question if I may - you refer to a fixed 2Mb service - can I get this from plusnet or ........................................

Yes I would think so but best to ask one of the PN Staff (UK) by posting on the Community support forum or by sending one of them
a Personal Message.