Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable line; frustrating situation!

birinji
Dabbler

Unstable line; frustrating situation!

Hi all,
Recently we have been experiencing outages, random drop outs, poor line quality, crackling when using the telephone, and this isn't the first time this has happened.
We are situated on the edge of a wood/common and have had line issues previously. The result of our line issue is likely due to a break in the line which is affected by ingress of water; simply because the line can be fine until it rains.
A fault was reported to Plusnet on 26th March and as always this has been reported to BT Openreach. Sadly whenever an engineer attends site it is either a. dry and no real fault can be detected or b. the wrong engineer attends.
Plusnet can see a fault, the line stats show this plain as day. Continuous pings from any PC in the house out to our external address (public address) shows resultant packet loss and high latency.. not something I would expect to see across 1 hop. Would you expect to see a latency circa 30ms..?
Ultimately we need BT to get out here and replace cable until the problem is resolved.
Plusnet staff... what do you suggest?
Regards,
Dan
20 REPLIES 20
birinji
Dabbler

Re: Unstable line; frustrating situation!

Still no connectivity this morning. Line crackle is getting better, this is due to the rain stopping. However I have had reports of cross talk this morning, my father could hear another property on the phone.
birinji
Dabbler

Connectivity is still up and down as it rains and dries. This morning we were fortunate enough to be woken at 6am by multiple telephone calls from no number... Not withheld but no number. This is clearly due to the pairs now shorting together.
During a quiet line test we can here the other properties dial tone and eventually the please hang up.
Come on BT come and change since cables...
deejayburnout
Grafter

Looks like I would call plusnet support and get them to get openreach on the case.
Who provides your line BT or PN?
birinji
Dabbler

BT attended site again today. It would appear we had an engineer with some sense and understanding. Methodically tested the line and appears to have located it somewhere in the wood opposite.
However the second pole is so old its out of certification and a cherry picker is required. They will be returning... Hopefully the problem is visibly obvious and easily rectified...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
Let us hope so.
Do you know if this is being treated as a VOICE or a BROADBAND issue by BTOR?  Whatever, when the line is "repaired" before they leave...
1. Check for yourself that the line is clear
2. Get your router synch'd up
3. Do a ring back test / call your phone and make sure the router does not drop synch
4. Ask the engineer if they have done the exit / eclipse test
5. Ask the engineer if he can get a SNRM reset done on your BB service - this will avoid the need for you to have to ask PN to do it - i.e. avoids more delay

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@birinji
Sorry you've not had a reply from either myself or another member of staff just yet.
I'm really sorry this fault has become so protracted. However I'm happy to see that a length of underground cabling has been identified as faulty and is due to be replaced. It remains to be seen if that is the precise cause of the fault, however I'm sure this will become clearer when we get the next update from our suppliers (which we expect to see tomorrow).
I'll be checking for updates myself and will be in touch re where we could take things next.
EDIT:
@birinji - Just a quick update to say I haven't forgotten you I'm on the phone to our suppliers now getting the latest update so I'll be able to pass that on soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi, I've just finished the call to our suppliers. The pole replacement has been done but I'm aware there's a possibility that some safety testing needs to be done before it can be fully commissioned. That's due to take place tomorrow morning and should complete the same day.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
birinji
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Firstly, many thanks for taking some control of our open case. It is nice to know that these forums work!
When you state 'pole replacement has been done' what exactly does this mean? As far as we are aware BT haven't replaced anything up here.
There are two poles which reside in the wood opposite. The original and  uncertified pole has the main feed which travels underground; this is where we suspect the damage is. Along with this some feet away BT installed a newer pole which connects to the properties, engineers cannot see any visible issue with any infrastructure on this particular pole.
If engineers had replaced this pole then there would be some significant works involved, hence my question of clarification.
Either way we look forward to the results and outcomes.
Many thanks
Dan
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
When you state 'pole replacement has been done' what exactly does this mean?

Whilst we're not party to the exact location of the poles I am aware that when poles are replaced they're done in such a way as to overlap between the new and old ones so to try and avoid disruption. That means as you've mentioned new poles are erected away from the old ones prior to the old one being decommissioned or re purposed in some way so I suspect what you've mentioned is in fact the work I've been informed about.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@birinji,
It might be beneficial if you could post on here the ID (number) of the defective pole providing your service.  If Adam then needs to follow this up with PN's suppliers, he can ask what is the status of replacement of services carried by that pole.  It would remove the potential for ambiguity in BTOR updates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

birinji
Dabbler

Hi,
Yes pole numbers are definitely beneficial. I even have some photos now. It is pretty obvious which is the new and old pole. Also notice the damage to the shielded cable; superficial I know but proves the point. As my father was taking these pictures a squirrel was seen making a hasty retreat..
In any case it is now the afternoon and we haven't seen any BT engineers.

Kind Regards,
Dan

birinji
Dabbler

Hi
Do we have any updates from BT?
Luckily we have had nice weather this bank holiday weekend but the issue is still underlying
Regards
Dan
birinji
Dabbler

Bump
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi birinji,
I've just spoken to Openreach (bear in mind we speak to an intermediary contact centre, not the engineers directly, as much as I'd like to on occasion). They confirm that DP2774 is indeed the old pole, tests are being carried out on that today which is part of the replacement process. I've been advised this is due to be done by midday tomorrow following which the new pole will be erected, I've double checked and it seems the new pole isn't in place just yet.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team