cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable connection with Asus RT-N66U

sted1975

Unstable connection with Asus RT-N66U

Hi I've just purchased an Asus RT-N66U as a replacement for the Technicolor TG582n but am having problems maintaining a internet connection.
After running through the setup wizard the router was connected in a few minutes, unfortunately after about 30 minutes the internet connection dropped on all devices (laptop, ipad and phone). When I checked the N66U it had lost connection to the internet (no surprises!) and was prompting me to go through the setup wizard. I tried this but now I get an error saying that the router cannot connect. Anyway after a hard reset I tried again and this time the router connected to the internet but as before after about 30 minutes the connection dropped and I'm being prompted to go through the setup wizard again...
What is annoying is that the TG582n has been rock solid for months, I'm only changing it because the wireless isn't the greatest. Also as soon as I reconnect the TG582n everything is fine! Just for info the N66U is on the latest Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.374.5517). Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Unstable connection with Asus RT-N66U

Hi there,
I'm not personally familiar with Asus rotuers but have you tried a factory reset?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sted1975

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that already  Sad
The factory reset is definitely clearing all my previous settings and after going through the connection wizard I can get back online....for about 30 minutes. I can only think that it must be a problem with the router or the firmware, either way looks like I'm going to back to the trusty TG582n!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Have you updated the firmware? It's a very straightforward procedure. If that doesn't help then it does sound like a dodgy router.  Sad
You should get it exhanged for a new one. My RT-N56U has been rock steady for 2 years. Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I second that, a firmware update could cure the issue - fingers crossed it does.
sted1975

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll try updating the firmware and see what happens, with any luck it might fix the problem but if not the router is going back.
Finguz
Grafter

I've been using the Merlin firmware with my N66U for almost a year with not so much as a hiccup.
Get it here  Cool