Did you mean: 

Unstable connection, but perhaps an explanation

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Unstable connection, but perhaps an explanation

Hi jkerr82508,
Quote from: jkerr82508
PN want me to test in a test socket before they'll accept a fault report. It's catch 22.

most modern sockets have a test socket but from what you are describing you have an old style master socket. We will certainly raise a fault for you as long as you have it pluged directly into there with no other equipment in any other extensions you may have. If an engineer that we book for you comes then he will more than likely replace the box anyway.
Jojo Smiley
knowdice
Rising Star

Not sure if jkerr82508 said that he had extension or not, but It might be worth just undoing the two screws that hold the front plate on and checking that there are only a single pair of wires connected.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Good point. If you have no extensions using the test socket doesn't make any difference anyway (removing the front plate to use the test socket disconnects the extensions). I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do as Jojo suggests - if he's not that inclined to replace the socket mugs of tea and biscuits often help!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jkerr82508
Grafter

Thanks to all.
It's good to know that I don't need a new socket in order to raise a fault through PN. The only extensions in the house are the type that would be plugged into the master socket. (I have had them unplugged throughout the past week.)
As luck would have it, my connection has been stable at 7616kbps/8dB for about 36 hours, but I now know how to proceed if the problem recurs.
Jim
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Presumably you had a doubler to enable you to connect the extensions, was that fitted before or after the ADSL splitter?
jkerr82508
Grafter

It was fitted before the ADSL splitter, (and had worked perfectly for years) but for the past week or more all other extensions have been unplugged and only the modem has been plugged in (to a microfilter which is plugged into the master socket).
About an hour ago, I experienced another spate of line drops. The noise margin varies erratically and the modem can only hold sync, if at all, for a few seconds. I've unplugged the modem and am using my (very expensive) mobile broadband connection. (I have need of internet access this evening.) I'll be reporting a fault as soon as I have time.
Jim
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The other way round would have been better. Presumably you had filters on everything plugged in to extensions.
jkerr82508
Grafter

I have opened a support ticket number 39392557. I hope that I've provided all of the information required.
Jim