cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable broadband?

FIXED
Grable3

Unstable broadband?

I'm not too sure what's happening here, but it's getting really irritating.  For university, I have to do online tutorials and in an hour's tutorial two weeks ago, my connection cut out 5 or 6 times.  My son has BT sport and which he can use on our machines when he visits us.  We were trying to watch the MotoGP a couple of hours ago, but the connection kept faltering - we went into buffering over and over again.  He says this doesn't happen when he's watching on his own machine at home, so I assume it's our connection.  When this happens, there's a lot of flashing on the router - occasionally one of the lights goes red, but that doesn't often happen and when it does, leaving it alone normally means that the green lights come up again.

These are two examples of what seem like daily occurrences.  Does it make sense that this is even worse when the weather's bad?  It could be a coincidence, but when it's raining, it seems even worse!

I'd be grateful if somebody could give me an indication of what's going on here.  Is it just PlusNet?  Would we be better off with a different provider?

2 REPLIES 2
Cameron1

Re: Unstable broadband?

We have been having this every couple of days for a week now,
Sometimes the interruption is 10 minutes, on Tuesday it was off for at least 5 hours maybe more
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unstable broadband?

Fix

Does it make sense that this is even worse when the weather's bad?  It could be a coincidence, but when it's raining, it seems even worse!

This can happen, if there is a bad joint on the line or somewhere water can get in and impact the line itself then you can see more issues during we weather.

There are quite a few drops on your line, but not as many as I'd have expected based on what you're said.

I'd advise running through the faults checker here and letting us know when you've done it: https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.