Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Pings on Plusnet Pro

Gorvul
Grafter

Unstable Pings on Plusnet Pro

hi,
I think I've a speed fault.
Ever since moving house - same exchange, same distance from exchange (less than a mile I think), I've been having problems with speed and ping.
Before I moved my ping on a certain game was constantly between 14 and 19 as a rule.
When I first moved my ping went to 12 and I thought "great!".   However, since then, I started having problems.  The ping is never consistent anymore and goes from being around 18 up to a few hundred.  Today it was 18 or 19 this morning, and now it's minimum of 121 on my nearest server.
I used pintgtest and got back a B grade of quality,   I don't remember what ping and jitter it was giving me - it was over 100 ping.
I'm on the plusnet pro package in order to get a good ping, and good quality line, and I think I'm actually being mugged a bit.
Or to rephrase that, I certainly have been paying for something I've  not been receiving since April.  I'd like to move away from plusnet if I knew for sure that there was a better service available from another ISP, and I've been with PN now for many years - since 2004 I think.  BUt at this point in time I've not got the energy.
It was very stressful and annoying having to raise faults back in April, and tbh, I don't want to have to go through that procedure again.  
The faceplate has been off since then, just to eliminate problems.
Also my linespeed -  up to how many MBs?  I getting up to 3MBs at the moment, even though I live less than a mile from teh exchange.
I'm not technically qualified to troubleshoot or problem solve this.  I'm not an engineer, but I've got a feeling that my line is being re-routed all over  the borough before it gets to me.
On another thread someone was asking for line attenuation downspeed and they gave that info.
I found mine, and it is 53db - I used kitz calculating thing, and it estimates I live 3.8km from the exchange, which, like I said already, I don't.  I live about 1km from it.
Please help me.  I don't want to leave plusnet - I just want a consistent service that works well, and I want to get the package that I'm paying for - Plusnet Pro.
I don't wantt to raise a speed fault as I hate the questions and answers process I have to go through each time.  Then the waiting for responses and different people giving different answers etc etc.   just the thought of it is stressful

BTW, I strongly suspect that BT are the ones responsible for my line quality, but I don't know this.  Saying that, if BT are not giving me a good service, then PLusnet can chase them up for me on this issue please?
11 REPLIES 11
Gorvul
Grafter

Re: Unstable Pings on Plusnet Pro

Also, I've been disconnected twice since I made above post, which is annoying because I'm playing an MMORPG

edit from here -make that 4 times! I'm getting well annoyed now, as I'm in the middle of something and .. it's like watching those BT adverts about other ISPs disconnects and poor download speeds etc

hmpff - 5 times  - if it's possible that you're doing tests are disonnecting me would you let me know? and if  you are doing tests, why the  didn't you give me any warning?

edited again from here...  I just did another pingtest on pingtest.net and got a good result.  I came to post that here now, and got another disconnection.  What is going on?  I looked on service status and all green dots.
Why have I had 6 disconnections since my first post?
HaydnExport
Grafter

your speed sounds about right for your attenuation.
Gorvul
Grafter

yeah, but why is my attenuation so high?
And since first posting I've disconnected 7 times now.

edit - make that 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gorvul,
I've been having a look at what's happening and your connection logs are showing many dropped connections up until 19:40 last night which is about 10 minutes after you raised the fault. I presume this is the point at which you plugged into your master/test socket, and your line has been stable since. If this is the case then I would imagine the fault lay with your internal wiring/extension lead.
Now, I've had a look at what's causing your poor sync rates and your profile has been banded. The best thing we can do is keep your connection as it is and once it has been stable for 72 hours we can apply for it to be removed. If the banding is successfully removed, judging by your line capability I could easily envisage speeds in excess of 10meg.
Jojo Smiley
Gorvul
Grafter

I've had the faceplate off since April and been plugged into the master socket since then, as I've already written in my above post. 
I'm a bit annoyed that you presumed I did this last night, instead of reading my post more carefully.

As for the10 MBs that you easily envisage...  that would be nice yes, but..................
the most I've been getting since I moved here in April was about 4MBs.   I tried to raise that as a fault previously, but didn't really get any satisfaction with that to be honest.   It was investigated and raised as a fault to BT too I think, but my speed never got above 4MBs.  I think it was a similar if not the same issue I was raising back then.  
High speed cable (alternative option) isn't available in my area yet - I looked into that.  And I imagine that I will have this problem with any ISP if it is the way the line is set up by BT.
When my ping and line quality starts causing me problems, then I complain about my connection speed too.
I'm on Plusnet Pro package, which is supposed to be good for gaming, and better pings.  That's what I assume.  I just wonder if I'm paying more for no reason.
So far today the ping has been much better.  Maybe there was some disruption yesterday for some reason. I don't know.  Yesterday was particularly bad, but it has been bad for a while now - I don't know how long.  My line seems a lot more unstable than it was at my last address, where I realise I was lucky.
Where I live now, was only built about 3 or 4 years ago, so I had hoped it would be better if anything.
Gorvul
Grafter

feel free to respond........
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gorvul,
Sorry about my presumption. It can only have been a coincidence that the dropping connections subsided then. Having checked your exchange it doesn't seem to have had any issues that could have caused your intermittent problems yesterday. I have left the ticket with you in case that were to happen again.
As for the ping times, if you could post a traceroute to the site in question we can see in a bit more detail any possible issues. Another possibility is that the traffic may not be getting prioritised correctly. A wireshark capture will enable us to establish whether this is the case (you can download that from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html ) and help on how to use it can be found here http://community.plus.net/library/?strInfoselection=wireshark&s=&doasearch=&search.x=0&search.y=0&fi...
If you raise a question with these results we can investigate this further for you.
As for the speed, if the connection is still strong come monday we can apply for the banding to be removed.
Believe me, we will do everything we can to ensure you get the service you expect.
Jojo Smiley
Gorvul
Grafter

Thanks Jojo
Gorvul
Grafter

just dropped connection now in the middle of something where I needed a connection.  That's an hour's efforts down the drain, because of loss of connection.
where's the angry emoticon?  (that's a rhetorical question btw)
If today is going to be a repeat of yesterday, there's no point in me being online.  You could be right, I might not be being prioritised on Plusnet Pro package.  If that is the case, then I am getting a different service for what I'm paying for no?
When I rang PN yesterday, the person I spoke to did warn me that the disconnects would likely reoccur, so I hope that my fault is still being monitored and will be dealt with.
I need a connection that I can rely on.  The random frequent disconnects of yesterday (and looks like they are going to be repeated today) were infuriating.
I hope you do what you can to fix this.
Thanks in advance.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes I can see it going again. Just pop that ticket back into the fault team. I did notice that the drops started much the same time as yesterday. Is there any electrical equipment being used at this time that could case that?
I might not be being prioritised on Plusnet Pro package.  If that is the case, then I am getting a different service for what I'm paying for no?

It's not that you would be getting a different service but sometimes this can be the cause of your issue so I just thought we'd be best eliminating that possibility.
Jojo Smiley
Gorvul
Grafter

Re: electrical equipment - nothing extra being used here at that time in this property -= i don't know about outside etc...

Quote from: Joanne
Yes I can see it going again. Just pop that ticket back into the fault team.

how do I do that?  or did you do that?
edit:I think I just re-raised it.