cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresolved fault

hodmandod
Grafter

Unresolved fault

I've been with Plusnet since Feb 2010. My broadband speed since the beginning has been poor but tolerable. There were plenty of times when I lost internet access, or speed became sluggish, but it was never so bad I made a complaint. I assumed it was normal for my locatoion. Then, in late April 2011, the speed issue, coupled to more and more frequent connection dropping, became so irritating I complained. A fault was found in my line, a BT engineer repaired it, and for the next month and a half I enjoyed constant reliability and amazing (for me) speeds.
A week ago, this suddenly changed. My speed dropped to snail pace, and my connection seldom lasted more than a few hours. I complained, a fault was found in the line, and a BT engineer claimed to have repaired it. Unfortunately, the slow speeds and regular loss of connection are still there - actually worse now than before I raised the issue, as the down periods seem to last longer.
Prior to 20 June, a BT speed test would give me a DSL Connection Rate of 1696 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
My IP Profile would be somewhere above 1000 Kbps.
Since 20 June, my DSL Connection Rate has fluctuated between 160 and 1120 (DOWNSTREAM) and has stayed at a constant 448 Kbps (UPSTREAM)
My IP profile has stayed at a constant 135.
BT keep telling me they've 'fixed' the problem, although nothing has changed, at least not for the better.
Plusnet seem equally clueless as to what is wrong. They are now saying I should have 'interleaving' on. Since my line worked fine for several weeks without interleaving being on, I don't see this as a lasting solution, if it helps at all.
Talk talk have lulu at my exchange. Does anyone know if this would give me a better chance than currently to have a reliable, reasonably speedy connection?
Also, do I have any rights here? I mean, for more than a year I  paid for a broadband 'service' and often had to pay extra for going above my usage -  but am I obliged to pay for all the times the connection has been so slow as to be useless, or when there has been no connection at all?
If anyone from Plusnet is reading this, maybe they could confirm what a copper line test now reveals. I don't seem to be able to persuade BT to do another one. For their information, all my BT speed tests have been done using my normal router connection some distance from the master socket, and also with the router plugged directly into the master socket, and the results are identical.
They might note that on the Plusnet site users are advised to run the BT availability checker to see what line speed should be available for them. I did this and got:
“Our test indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.”

Thanks,
13 REPLIES 13
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Unresolved fault

Do you have a fault investigation open at the moment? If not I suggest raising (another) one at http://faults.plus.net/.
When you say "the results are identical when plugged into the master socket", is that when plugged into the face of that socket or into the test socket exposed when the faceplate is removed? Does "identical" mean speedtests give the same result - they will do until your IP Profile increases - or are sync speeds identical?
Turning on interleaving is the first step tried when a fault is raised. Without doing that BT will be very reluctant to investigate a fault. If it doesn't fix the problem, once normal service is resumed there is no reason why it shouldn't be turned off again if checks show line error rates are unlikely to be excessive.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hodmandod,
Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this. I've asked one of our faults team to pick this up for you.
Jojo Smiley
hodmandod
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Do you have a fault investigation open at the moment? If not I suggest raising (another) one at http://faults.plus.net/.
When you say "the results are identical when plugged into the master socket", is that when plugged into the face of that socket or into the test socket exposed when the faceplate is removed? Does "identical" mean speedtests give the same result - they will do until your IP Profile increases - or are sync speeds identical?
Turning on interleaving is the first step tried when a fault is raised. Without doing that BT will be very reluctant to investigate a fault. If it doesn't fix the problem, once normal service is resumed there is no reason why it shouldn't be turned off again if checks show line error rates are unlikely to be excessive.

Yes, I have a fault invesigation open. What I meant by 'identical' was when I plug my router, via a phone/internet splitter, directly into the face of my master socket - this is pretty old and has no test socket inside - the DSL connection rate is the same as when the router is plugged in at its usual place. Is DSL the same as synch?
I don't really know what 'interleaving' means but my thinking was its absence couldn't be the source of my problem as I've had poor speeds, dreadful speeds, and scintillatingly good speeds, without it.
An Openreach engineer is about to visit ...
hodmandod
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi hodmandod,
Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this. I've asked one of our faults team to pick this up for you.
Jojo Smiley

Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: hodmandod
… What I meant by 'identical' was when I plug my router, via a phone/internet splitter, directly into the face of my master socket - this is pretty old and has no test socket inside - the DSL connection rate is the same as when the router is plugged in at its usual place. Is DSL the same as synch?

Yes DSL connection rate is the same as what I referred to as sync speed.
Quote from: hodmandod
An Openreach engineer is about to visit ...

It might be helpful if the engineer can be persuaded to replace the old-style master socket with an NTE5 with test socket. Troubleshooting is less easy in your situation, though you've done the best you can. Hope the engineer manages to find and rectify the real problem.
David
hodmandod
Grafter

The engineer did change my master socket, which he said showed signs of scorched connections, which were almost certainly affecting my line. He replaced it with a shiny new one,with OPENREACH printed in it, but there's nothing to suggest it's an NTE5 with test socket.
After testing, he said the line from the master socket to the exchange was clear and that my speeds should improve and there should be no more connection dropping, though he did say occasional drops might still happen during the next ten days..
My speed hasn't changed much, yet; but my IP Profile has.
Before the engineer came I was getting:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 104 Kbps
Your DSL Connection Rate :1088 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Immediately after his visit:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 107 Kbps
Your DSL Connection Rate :2496 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Six hours after his visit:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 215 Kbps
Your DSL Connection Rate :2432 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
I've never had an IP Profile this high - but it's not much good if the download speed is nowhere near it!
I'll wait and see what happens over the next couple of days.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your download speed would probably still be constrained at the time of your test by the Current line speed setting in the Member Centre here.
That should be changed automatically to match your IP Profile following receipt of a delta report from BT notifying Plusnet of the change. It can take 12 hours for that to get through and be actioned and hopefully the value will have corrected itself by morning. Otherwise a member of the digital care team will probably reset it when they check this thread.
David
hodmandod
Grafter

What you say seems to have happened. This morning my download speed was in excess of 1500kbps. Touch wood, but my problem may have been resolved. All down to a scorched connection in the master socket!
Thanks for your input. I was all set to buy another router ...
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear this. Smiley
What router stats (sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins) do you have now?
David
hodmandod
Grafter

Sorry, I missed this question.
Unfortunately, I haven't been monitoring my router statistics. I don't have enough knowledge of where to look. I relied on the BT test as recommended on the Plusnet site.  It's currently:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1710 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2336 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
It's been like this for a few days now; I'm very happy with it; so I think I can consider my problem is solved.
dick:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yep, looks like the engineer visit has resolved the problem. Smiley
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear it's working, thanks for letting us know. If there's anything further we can help with please get in touch Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This explains how to get the router stats - that is all we need to see if you can get even better speeds
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html