cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable internet

grahamholmes
Grafter

Unreliable internet

Hi, I'm sorry to moan but yet again I am having problems with my internet connection which can go off for up to an hour a day in the evenings and then returns to normal..
According to the router its connected and my pc is wired to it and I can't see any real problems in the connection stats.
I would like to know why this is happening and if its a faulty router which I don't have a spare to try or whether its a problem with the line as I'm getting really fed up with unreliable service to the point that I am looking at other possibilities.
I have not wanted a reduction in the amount that I pay until now but I feel I am not getting what I paid for.
Please help.
Uptime: 30 days, 4:11:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 974 / 4.924
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 3,27 / 31,33
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28,0 / 51,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,2 / 6,0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 49.170 / 6
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 51.518 / 53.246.254
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2.806 / 2.154.489
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2.599 / 77.810.779
12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unreliable internet

The bursts of disconnections shown below concern me. When the disconnections are happening can you dial 17070 from your landline and listen for any noise on the line.
I'd also suggest opening a fault ticket so we can investigate further, I appreciate you did  this back in October but something still isn't right judging from the connection graph.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Graham,
Sorry to hear of your continued issues.  Chris has already commented on your issues back in October - your last comment on that thread was...
Quote from: grahamholmes
Hi Andy
BT did not show up today, I put my mobile number on the front door as you suggested but no sign of them.  I have updated the ticket, please advise.

Did you ever get BTOR to attend?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grahamholmes
Grafter

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply I will raise a ticket, the problem is I keep getting what seems to be the same problem and BT are saying they cannot find anything wrong with the line and put it down to wifi connection but I have hard wired my PC and its still the same, I will listen to the line when it next happens.
Hi Kevin, BT did show up the next day and fitted a new face plate on my sitting room socket and moved the router but he told my wife the problems were down to wifi which is not correct.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Graham,
The wifi can indeed be dismissed (certainly at this point).
The Local Error Seconds are markedly higher than mine (similar attenuation) running at 3dB SNRM and getting a slightly better synch than yourself.  Your HEC & CRC error rates are also markedly higher than mine... I'm wondering if having you "dropped back" to ADSL2 might be beneficial as on lines of our length the additional frequencies used by ADSL2+ are not viable.
What firmware version is your TG582n?  10.2.2.B is very stable.
You mention moving the router - was that from an extension to the master socket?  It leads to the question of how are the extensions wired?  Is the bell wire connected (pin 3)?
Is the phone line quiet (dial 17070 option2)?  I am sure that you've done these basics, but it is wise to ask.  Tongue
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

grahamholmes
Grafter

Its just gone off again and there is a clicking noise on the line.  The router was connected to the test socket but because it was downstairs in my house the BT engineer moved the router to my living room.  Firmware version is 10.2.2.B and bell wires have been disconnected.
The line was reliable up to summertime but BT were enabling fibre around the town and my line has not been correct since, according to the BT engineer this is a common complaint!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

...which would be caused by YOUR wifi???  Cheesy
Quote from: grahamholmes
BT did show up the next day and fitted a new face plate on my sitting room socket and moved the router but he told my wife the problems were down to wifi ...

Chris
Legend

Thanks for opening the fault ticket, we'll get that picked up asap.
Other than the bursts of disconnections the line is showing pretty stable, so it could be something in the local area causing  bursts of interference causing the disconnections.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamholmes
Grafter

Hi, could someone give me an idea if my line still has the same problems as the SN margin has been left at 9.0.  The BT engineer left me a router and the line does seem more stable than it was (still not great).  BT are putting it down to a REIN issue but will anything be done as its been going on for months?  Thanks

Uptime: 1 day, 5:29:01
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 976 / 4,272
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 972 / 3,992
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 101.35 / 1.35
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 46.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 1,205 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 524,283 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 655,355 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6,032 / 211,124
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,437 / 516
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 110 / 1,014
Chris
Legend

We're not seeing anywhere near the level of disconnections as before, has the clicking noise on the line stopped?

As the line looks much more stable, I'm going to do a line test and then possibly reset the SNR down to 6.
grahamholmes
Grafter

Hi Chris, I cannot hear any clicking on the line at the moment.  Internet is slow and I know BT adjusted the download SN level to 9 which they said made no difference to the stability so would it be possible to set it back to 6 so at least I get some speed back.  Thanks
Chris
Legend

I reset it this morning and it's gone through fine. Can you try logging in to your router and hitting disconnect, wait a few seconds and then connect. You should see a slight improvement in speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Graham,
How are things going now...?