cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable broadband over the past week or so

mivecboy

Unreliable broadband over the past week or so

My broadband used to be rock solid for uptime but over the past week or so, its been dropping off to less than 1mb then going altogether. I have a newish TP-Link Archer D5 adsl modem router which is reliable and until the last week or so, speeds were fine. I find I'm now having to reboot the router a couple of times a day to get the internet working again. The stats on the router show 400 up 7000 down or thereabouts but our devices are not getting internet or very slow internet.
Can someone from PlusNet see if there has been a problem with my line ? There will be disconnections showing as I've been rebooting the router. Many thanks, Phil
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unreliable broadband over the past week or so

Are you using a wired or wireless connection to the router? If wireless you need to check if you see the same issues wired.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

This sounds like a wireless issue to me, please follow Jelv's advice and post back here with the results.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mivecboy

Its not a wireless issue. It also affects my wired connections. Checked using speed test.net site and my wired desktop PC was getting 1513ms pings and only 0.2mbs download speeds. I've had to reboot the router four times tonight.
mivecboy

As I say, the router is only a couple of months old and all my wired and wireless devices have been fine until a couple of weeks ago. Can something be reset at PlusNets end ? Line reset or something ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you post the information asked for is this post please: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mivecboy

Hi, I just had the internet drop off totally then. I could not get to any of the speedtest sites. Once the router was rebooted, it appears to be back to normal. As I say, this has only happened the last few weeks.
I also don't have a master socket in my house with a test socket so I can't perform those tests, sorry. The people who had the house before me took it out and replaced it with what looks like small extension socket.
Line Status:Connected
DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Type:Annex A/L
                          Upstream                   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 448                        7616
Max Rate (Kbps)       1104                     10152
SNR Margin (dB)         24                             12.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 10                        15
Errors (Pkts)                0                                    0
Got those stats after a reboot, hope it helps.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've run a line test and found a (potentially) unrelated problem. I've asked that our supplier looks into this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mivecboy

Hi Tony,
Thank you, I appreciate that. I woke up this morning and the broadband connection was down yet again....
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I can't guarantee my fault report will fix everything, but clearing it can only help matter. I've PM'd you further details.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mivecboy

I appreciate what you are doing, like you say, it can only help. Is there anywhere I can track this ticket or will you update me when there is some news ?
thank you again
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'll update the ticket on your account in a moment. However, the work on the line appears to be complete.
Have you noticed any improvement on the broadband today? You might need to monitor for little while.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
mivecboy

Hi Tony,
I've not had any further drop offs as far as I know. My wife spoke to the BT engineer as I was out at the time and he said he couldn't find a fault. As I say, the broadband does seem more reliable so far, fingers crossed.
thanks, Phil