cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpredictable connect to broadband - IP address problem? Or...?

softmuse
Dabbler

Unpredictable connect to broadband - IP address problem? Or...?

Sorry this is so long, but I had a previous thread on this, tried all advice so far and I'm still getting nowhere.  So  -- precision needed...
Any more advice gratefully received, please...
The good bit  -- once I successfully connect to broadband, speed is  excellent, and I see no drop-outs once connected.
Good stuff, and probably implies a good line (I'm v. close to the exchange).
BUT when trying to connect, sometimes it works instantly, but often nothing useful happens, e.g. Firefox can't find Google,
or Thunderbird can't access mail server, or other similar symptoms...  i.e. no effective connection. Other times it just works fine.
When I get the problem, my LAN connection (thro which I access the D-Link DSL-320B modem/router) says it's up and running OK.
I have it set to pick up an IP address automatically, rather than a fixed IP...    I also have filters plugged in to every sane comms orifice!!!
My modem/router lights always seem to say this (very shortly after settling down on power up), :-
Power:  On & steady
Status:  Flashing steadily at about 3 regular flashes per sec
LAN:      On & steady
DSL:      On & steady
As far as I have see these don't change when I'm failing to connect.
On previous forum advice I have upgraded my modem/router firmware to the latest version (via IE to 192.168.1.1.).  No difference.
POSSIBLE CLUE??:  An annoying but reliable "workaround fix" is to plug in old-fashioned dial-up connection to filter and connect using dial-up.
After dial-up connection has been established and ended again, broadband is usually fine!!!!  It's not just the plugging in of the dial-up line
into the filter;  I need to go thro actually connecting temporarily with dial-up, then disconnecting.  That's a pain  -  particularly as one point of
broadband was to throw away dial-up phone and service charges.....  What on earth does using dial-up  do to fix it??  I'm not, by the way, then unknowingly talking to the I'net via dial-up, which I disconnect, but truly broadband...
I have stats from my DSL 320B if they would help.  I know less than nothing about comms and IP addresses, so they don't help me
  -  but the  logs don't seem to imply faults at first amateur scan. 
Please  ---  Where do I go from here???  Getting frantic  -  despite 30 yrs in the computer software business  -  I don't learn!!
Cheers, Dave T (softmuse), Findhorn, nr. Inverness
40 REPLIES 40
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Unpredictable connect to broadband - IP address problem? Or...?

The router stats are the most useful thing to start with as they will say whether or not you've got an ADSL signal and then whether or not it's actually "connected" to PlusNet, not to mention breaks in service etc. etc.
So post a few samples of them, say taken at regular intervals plus comments on what (if anything) happened over that same period.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm not familiar with that router but I assume the steady DSL light means the modem is synced to the exchange and the steady LAN light means communications have been established with your PC. The flashing status light suggests to me it is trying to connect ot Plusnet, and failing, so repeatedly tries.
This must have been worked through before but are you sure all the connection settings are correct (VCI, PPPoA and the other things I've forgotten, not just broadband username and password)? Just wondering if dialling up resets something on your account that forces a router or account reset when you connect using broadband again. But next time you try with broadband the reset doesn't happen so connection fails.
I don't know whether what I've speculated is relevant or not, but i guess everything else has been tried, considered.
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

My first thought on reading this was perhaps a DNS problem as you said about being unable to access mail server as well as Firefox not finding 'google'. Check your modem/router is set up to get dns servers automatically, but before you change anything, another thought.
When you have the problem, whilst "still on BB". open a DOS box and try ping bbc.co.uk. Also do a tracert to bbc.co.uk and post results. If that all works ok, it would show that you are at least connected and this may be DNS or computer related.
Hope that helps, otherwise everything else that spraxyt suggested is worth looking at.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: spraxyt
The flashing status light suggests to me it is trying to connect ot Plusnet, and failing, so repeatedly tries.

Not necessarily, I was helping someone just this morning (a PN client I referred a little while back) who had been having connection problems and one of the router lights was flashing - I think it was that exact same D-Link model.
Anyway, I checked the stats and it was fine (and I couldn't be bothered to find out what the lights mean :D) and everything was also working OK at the PC.
(I might add that this persons problem had been caused by a BT network/exchange issue that had been cleared by the time I got there)
As stated above, please post some stats from the router, they give the level of detail required.
softmuse
Dabbler

OK  -  very long again  - hope it helps  -  thanks all  - I've done my homework, and here goes with some test results.....
Would be VERY glad to get this problem sorted and move on if you have ideas!!!!  Cheers, Dave T (softmuse)
HPsauce:
-------
Below are status, stats & connections reports from my D-Link DSL-320B
modem/router at 192.168.1.1    -  2 sets, both taken when the connection
was working fine.    When its not working, I can't get at the stats can I?
I tried to be devious & get them thro Firefox on Dial-up, but Firefox just reported a Network Timeout after 20 secs or so
-  while other sites were accessible fine before & after...  Tried lots of times, but always Network Timeout
with that address (even with Idle timeout on Dial-up connection set up to 5 mins in case relevant....).   So stats
I've posted below possibly just show A.O.K. cos it was working fine each time....
Are they any help?Huh
Spraxyt:
-------
Thanks  -  had forgotten where I check/change these settings???  So not done yet..., but will do and report...
Spraxyt & HPSauce:
-----------------
According to the DSL-320B manual, once power-on self test is done OK, the Status light should flash steadily & continually
-  this is the sign of good modem/router health!
Anotherone:
----------
Ping bbc.co.uk gives me:-
Pinging 212.58.224.138 with 32 bytes
Reply from 212.58.224.138 bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=120
repeated 3 times with very similar times before the DOS box vanishes.
Tracert bbc.co.uk gives me:-
Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a max of 30 hops
1  <1ms   <1ms  <1ms
before the DOS box vanishes.
Is this any help?Huh
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REPORTS FROM D-Link DSL-320B modem/router at 192.168.1.1
(when Broadband connection apparently working well)
========================================================
FIRST SET:
=========
Device Info
The Device Status page allows you to check the status of your Internet
connection and LAN.
General
Time :    Oct 26, 2008 22:28:38
Firmware Version :    UK_1.10
INTERNET STATUS
Virtual Circuit :  
Cable Status :    Up
ADSL Status :    Connected
Connection Up Time :    0 hours, 27 minutes, 33 seconds

Downstream Line Rate (Kbps) :    6304
Upstream Line Rate (Kbps) :    448
Connection Type :    PPPoA VC-Mux
IP Address :    87.112.38.220
Subnet Mask :    255.255.255.255
Default Gateway :    195.166.128.123
Preferred DNS Server :    212.159.6.10
Alternate DNS Server :    212.159.6.9
LAN
MAC Address :    00:21:91:81:1C:0E
IP Address :    192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask :    255.255.255.0
DHCP Server :    ON
============================
Statistics
This information reflects the current status of your modem.
WAN Statistics

Service VPI/VCI Protocol Received
Transmitted
      Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts
Errs Drops
nas_0_0_38 0/38 PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0

LAN Statistics

Interface Received Transmitted
  Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts Errs Drops
Ethernet 381556 2880 0 0 1533090 2857
0 0

ADSL Statistics

Mode: Autosense 
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6304 448

SNR Margin (dB): 12.4 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 26.0 11.5
Output Power (dBm): 19.8 12.4

Super Frames: 103426 103370
Super Frames Errors: 0 2
RS Words: 7032998 878645
RS Correctable Errors: 101 8
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 1
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 26142561 0
Data Cells: 7340 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 13 0

Connected Clients
This page shows all the currently connected LAN computers or PCs.
CONNECTED DHCP LAN CLIENTS
Hostname MAC Address IP Address Expires In
softmuse-xp6sia 00:e0:4e:20:a4:ce 87.112.38.220 0 hours, 0
minutes, 35 seconds
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MORE REPORTS FROM D-Link DSL-320B modem/router at 192.168.1.1
========================================================
SECOND SET:(again when Broadband connection apparently working well)
=========
General
Time :    Oct 26, 2008 23:32:31
Firmware Version :    UK_1.10
INTERNET STATUS
Virtual Circuit :  
Cable Status :    Up
ADSL Status :    Connected
Connection Up Time :    0 hours, 35 minutes, 27 seconds

Downstream Line Rate (Kbps) :    6304
Upstream Line Rate (Kbps) :    448
Connection Type :    PPPoA VC-Mux
IP Address :    87.112.38.220
Subnet Mask :    255.255.255.255
Default Gateway :    195.166.128.123
Preferred DNS Server :    212.159.6.10
Alternate DNS Server :    212.159.6.9
LAN
MAC Address :    00:21:91:81:1C:0E
IP Address :    192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask :    255.255.255.0
DHCP Server :    ON
Statistics
This information reflects the current status of your modem.
WAN Statistics

Service VPI/VCI Protocol Received
Transmitted
      Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts
Errs Drops
nas_0_0_38 0/38 PPPoA 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0

LAN Statistics

Interface Received Transmitted
  Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts Errs Drops
Ethernet 629752 5012 0 0 2893976 4991
0 0

ADSL Statistics

Mode: Autosense 
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 6304 448

SNR Margin (dB): 12.4 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 26.0 11.5
Output Power (dBm): 19.8 12.4

Super Frames: 133103 133046
Super Frames Errors: 0 2
RS Words: 9051034 1130891
RS Correctable Errors: 133 8
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 1
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 33643704 0
Data Cells: 9732 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 0 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 13 0
==============================
Connected Clients
This page shows all the currently connected LAN computers or PCs.
CONNECTED DHCP LAN CLIENTS
Hostname MAC Address IP Address Expires In
softmuse-xp6sia 00:e0:4e:20:a4:ce 87.112.38.220 0 hours, 0
minutes, 57 seconds
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: softmuse
When its not working, I can't get at the stats can I?

Well, yes you should be able to, and they should show the "level" of connection, i.e. how far it's got.
You should be able to connect and monitor the changing status as the connection process takes place - it can take a minute or so.
As you surmise, the stats above look fine.
softmuse
Dabbler

HPSauce:      Sorry, don't follow....    How can I "monitor the changing status as the connection process takes place" until I'm successfully (broadband) connected?  As far as I know  I can only see the status  -  and how it's changing  -  through a working firmly established connection to 192.168.1.1?Huh
As noted, I've tried repeatedly being devious and using dial-up to look at the DSL-320 stats monitor on 192.168.1.1 while trying to connect broadband, but it won't let me (Network Timeout as described).
I must be missing the point badly somewhere along the way...... some dumb assumption I'm making...    Cheers.  Softmuse
HPsauce
Pro

Yes, you are missing the point I'm afraid, just try it please.

By way of explanation, your router has 2 "sides" to it that work independently, but connect:
1. The broadband side via the RJ11 cable to the router
2. The local LAN side via RJ45 to your PC
softmuse
Dabbler

HPSauce, thank you, thank you.
Now I know that 192.168.1.1 is a "local" address on my LAN and I can talk to the local half of my box even when ADSL comms is out it all makes sense....
I had dumbly assumed 192.168.1.1 was "out there" somewhere on the net holding info received from my box!!!!  Heigh-ho.
So thanks greatly.  I 'll use its stats , logs and diagnostics and should be able to hunt down my problem for myself.  Thanx again.  Cheers, Dave T
Over and out for now...
HPsauce
Pro

Once the light comes on it's so obvious.  Grin
Don't forget to ask questions here when you find more things you don't understand.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: softmuse

I had dumbly assumed 192.168.1.1 was "out there" somewhere on the net holding info received from my box!!!!   Heigh-ho.

I think your router is only has single port ethernet, so whilst not possible with that -
but if you had a multiple port router like that currently supplied by PN - you could connect other equipment to the other ports and connect to them.
For example we have a printer with ethernet capability - and we send data to the printer over the ethernet, and it can be used by any other laptop with wifi - or physically wired to the ethernet ports.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: mal0z
but if you had a multiple port router like that currently supplied by PN -

A 5-port switch can be had for not much more than £5 so no need..... Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi softmuse,
sorry to not come back and comment sooner. HP has pointed you in the right direction to monitor things, but from all the data you have posted, there doesn't appear to be any fault as such at your end. The manual says that the Status light should flash. (Whether it remains steady or goes out when things are idle, ie. no data being sent or received, I don't know, I've no direct experience with this router). If you haven't got a manual you can download one from here
The ping results are OK, as for the tracert, well don't know why the DOS box disappears, that first line shows access to the LAN OK. The tracert will show where any significant delays are occurring, next time you've got problems try the tracert from a Run command instead of a DOS box.
I've occasionally experienced similar problems to you, these just seem to be occasional general "network" problems. However if these are regular and persistent, it could be Exchange or Gateway related. You can check your Exchange status and find your Gateway from the Plusnet Usertools page and check the gateway packet loss here. If packet loss is high and sustained and there are others which are better, you could try gateway hopping (but there is no way of controlling which gateway you will connect to, it just random, you might need to do it several times), the best way to do this is from your routers login page 192.168.1.1, there should be Disconnect button and after it has disconnected, if re-connect isn't automatic press the Connect button. (By the way tracert will also show you which gateway you are on).
Disconnecting from and reconnecting to PN by this method is far more preferable to re-booting your router where you lose sync to the exchange, which if repetative may be interpreted by the exchange as a problem, which leads me to my final comment.
If you think you have a connection problem, your ADSL statistics will be the ones of interest (you can leave the others out unless there is some need for further diagnostics). The only observation I have is that you would seem to be just under 2km from the exchange and should be achieving a higher sync speed except that your SNRM target looks as though it may be 12dB, possibly you have a noisy line, or had previously had problems with frequent disconnects. Monitor you downstream noise margin and when/if it is steadily higher than say 13dB (this will usually be daylight hours, often a.m), then re-boot your router.
Hope that that all helps,
Regards.
warmrain
Dabbler

Softmuse,
Your IP addressing looks a little odd to me and this may be the source of your irregular internet access.
From your stats your modem/router is set to act actively as a DHCP server and issue IP addresses within the local (in your house) network within a range starting with 192.168.1.x  where x=number between 2 and 254.  However, your Local Attached Devices list ("Connected LAN clients") shows your computer as having an address not in this range, but rather the IP address Plusnet has (randomly) assigned to your ADSL modem/router for that connection session.  Hence your browser is getting a little confused and takes a while before it figures out where the "Gateway" is that it has to use to connect to the wide world internet.  It would normally start off by trying to use you local router IP address  191.168.1.1 as the gateway.  Everytime your ADSL connection drops and you reconnect, Plusnet will assign your modem/router a new address -- unless you have a Fixed IP address contract with Plusnet, which seems unlikely.
I suspect your network card is set incorrectly.  Go to Network card Configuration from your computer Control Panel, look at TCP/IP client properties, and select "Use DHCP" or it might be called "Get IP address automatically" and then reboot  to make the changes effective.  You then have to scrub out the current IP address identification currently adopted by your network card.  In Win XP you can do this by clicking "Repair network connection" or you can reach the network card directly via a DOS command-line box, entering the command "IPconfig /release" or alternatively "IPconfig /renew".  If things are all then set up properly, when you type "IPconfig /all", you should see that your network card now has an IP address within the local network range of addresses beginning 192.168.1.__.
Hope this helps.