cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking BT 2700HGV - help needed

izzybusy

Unlocking BT 2700HGV - help needed

Hi
I've just received my new BT 2700HGV router (thanks for all the advice on which one to buy) and now I need some help unblocking it. Can anyone offer me any advice?
Thanks to Ian for sending me the link to a site http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm that helps configure, but having read the initial information I'm now terrified I'm going to fry the router and will have to buy a new one before I've even managed to get started! It has dual SSID printed on the label. I just need to know that I won't damage it irreversibly.
Thanks to anyone that can help in any way.
Izzy
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Unlocking BT 2700HGV - help needed

I have one and I didn't need to unlock it.
All I did was change my user name and password on the advanced settings tab on the Broadband link.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MickKi
Grafter

. . . Or, run the set up wizard and enter your PN user name & passwd in there.  I would advise against flashing it manually with the SBC firware - all reports that I read ended up bricking their routers.  Only way to de-brick it is with a J-tag and an image of the original ROM.  I guess you have neither . . .  which means you'll need to post it to 2WIRE in the US.  Tongue
I would also advise against the Singtel firmware because many report it as  being a tad unstable or getting lower sync rates than other firmwares, or other modems.  The latest firmware offered by the BT provisioning servers (5.29.117.6?) seems to be the best option for the UK at this moment.
The only thing I am not sure about regarding this router is what ports it opens to the world for remote access by the provisioning ISP servers and their admin people.  When I get the opportunity I will scan mine (which however I run in bridged mode - just as a modem) to see what's what.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Whatever you do DONT flash it with the SBC firmware !!!
It is a Dual SSID model and it wont work again if you do!!!
There is no need to flash it at all. Although you can use the Singtel firmware its really not worth the risk and you will lose any Voip functionality as well as getting a lower synch speed as Mickki says.
Just follow Mickki's advice and run the setup wizard and put in your Plusnet username/password and it should work.
Check the section
BT Recovery Firmware v5.29.107.12
in the tripod link because thats probably the version of firmware you have ( or possibly 5.29.117.6 but its very similar - just a few improvements )
Sorry I'm not going to be able to be able to be much help for the next two weeks , I'm not around.
Note:- just remembered this forum , and here is a step by step setup guide for the dual SSID http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8927.0 ( just replace where it says idnet username with plusnet username )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

izzybusy

Thanks to you all for all your help. Just managed to get up and running using the suggested link and it worked really well.
Much appreciated!!
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi

I would also advise against the Singtel firmware because many report it as  being a tad unstable or getting lower sync rates than other firmwares, or other modems.  The latest firmware offered by the BT provisioning servers (5.29.117.6?) seems to be the best option for the UK at this moment.

That's interesting. I have a 2700HGV with the Singtel firmware and it syncs better and is more stable than my previous DG834. Can anyone be more specific about where to find the BT firmware?
godsell4
Rising Star

Why do you say the 2700HGV is 'more stable' than the DG834?
Is it because the SNR value it displays does not vary very much?
If so, I believe the 2700HGV displays a highly avergaged value whereas the DG834 tells you what it is at that instant.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

I suspect that if it's anything like the 585v7, then it may handle noise better than other routers.
MickKi
Grafter

I mentioned that the singtel firmware is reported to get lower sync speeds according to The Scream! forums at least (check post 738 onwards).
I can also confirm that the Netgear DG834(v1) and DG834GT routers were achieving lower sync speeds on my line than either the 2WIRE 1800HG, or the 2700HGV.  Both 2WIREs seem to get fewer FECs and higher sync speeds under all weathers and operating conditions.  I haven't compared this against the ST585v yet.  With my 2700HGV I am currently holding onto an IP Profile at least 1000kbps higher that the DG834.  Interesting to see if the long wet winter nights are going to affect this.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
Why do you say the 2700HGV is 'more stable' than the DG834?

I am on the end of a long piece of wet string with 63dB attenuation. The DG834 would sync at about 1100 on a good day, but would frequently drop the connection and I would end up for several days at a time with a 128kbps connection. The 2700HGV syncs at 1400 or thereabouts on a good day, and, although it still sees disconnections and reprofiling it has never gone below 512kbps.
It would be interesting to see if it could do even better with different firmware.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Denzil,
As I understand it the SingTel firmware has a built in minimum SNR target of 8db whereas the BT firmware's will go down to 6db if your line will allow it. Given that, the SingTel one will possibly synch slightly slower than the BT one but will probably give less errors because of the higher noise margin.
In general 2wire kit is is usually more stable I think because of their proprietary ADSL modem design, which seems to be able to handle noisy or long lines better than other manufacturers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I suspect that if it's anything like the 585v7, then it may handle noise better than other routers.

I don't know how the ST585v7 compares with ST585v6, but when I tested a 2WIRE 1800HG on a dodgy line it would get up to 500kbps higher sync speeds than the ST585v6.  A 2WIRE 2700HGV should fair even better than that.