Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited monthly usage?

Tsonga
Grafter

Unlimited monthly usage?

Hi there!
Are there any plans for unlimited monthly broadband usage? I am currently on 80GB a month and I'm afraid it's not enough. There are five of us, two desktops and three laptops, and we watch a lot of IPlayer, YouTube, Lovefilm, Eurosport etc. After many many years with Plusnet, I am seriously considering moving to BT, who have unlimited packages. I would prefer not to switch, though, as I am very happy with Plusnet, so if there are plans for a unlimited package in the near future, I would rather know.
Cheers! Wink
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unlimited monthly usage?

Ring up cancellations to ask for your MAC - you might get offered something that meets your requirements. Wink
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could get 120GB on fibre.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Ring up cancellations to ask for your MAC - you might get offered something that meets your requirements. Wink

Wink
SiMania
Grafter

I'm thinking of doing the same after 8 years with plusnet.  I don't use P2P, I don't stream anything during peak time, the only thing I do is 2-3 hours of work through the VPN a few times a week which involves RDPing to servers and it uses up a lot of bandwidth that I've none left to do anything with it.  You'd thing as the technology has changed so much in the last 8 years that PlusNet would upgrade the infrastructure to cope with the demand as 1. more and more people are able to work flexibly so they work from home. And 2. The average house now has more and more devices that connect to the internet, video streams are on most devices, HD is what people expect, yet I'm getting stifled by peak restrictions when I try to do any file downloading during off peak times.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet has massively increased the infrastructure to cope with the demand of increased usage and increased number of users. If they hadn't we'd be seeing slowdowns.
What you are forgetting is that Plusnet have to pay BT Wholesale for the peak capacity, that limits Plusnet's scope for increased allowances (or reduced prices). Don't forget they've given a price reduction to users on Market 2 exchanges as well as Market 3. Would you rather they hadn't done that but instead kept prices the same and increased the allowances?
Having said that, as exchanges are upgraded to 21CN and PN move their users across the costs fall so if that cost fall is more than the cost of increasing capacity as average usage increases they may have scope for increased allowances. However I'd bet there's a lot of users who get nowhere near their allowance who vote for lower prices instead (I'm on Extra and my usage never breaks 20GB).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)