cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited from Plusnet. Available to all from Wednesday 19th December ?

Estragon
Rising Star

It seems that the "Extra" packages on ADSLx and FTTC are to be renamed to "Unlimited" and become "unlimited" from next Wednesday. What happens to "Value" which is renamed to "Essentials" is a bit garbled and unclear to me in http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/dec/14/plusnet-provide-unlimited-broadband.
It's also unclear whether this will apply to "Broadband only", as the article only mentions with Home Phone. No mention of the presence or absence of an FUP/AUP either.
Premature leak/publication of a Press Release?
309 REPLIES 309
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unlimited from Plusnet. Available to all from Wednesday 19th December ?

Plusnet staff are busy beavering away to make this announcement Official.
It has however been announced by a Guardian article, in which Jamie Ford, Plusnet's chief executive officer,has been interviewed.
Presumably Bob Pullen will be typing his fingers off, with an Official Plusnet Announcement !!

"Home broadband firm Plusnet is to free its customers from monthly download limits and will offer unlimited broadband access for the first time.
Until now the company has set download caps on its home broadband packages.
But from Wednesday the Sheffield-based broadband company is allowing new and existing customers on its basic deal to upgrade to an unlimited service for an extra £4 a month."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/dec/14/plusnet-provide-unlimited-broadband

The newspaper article goes into some detail about pricing and packages.
They suggest that...... Those who want to upgrade to the unlimited service will pay £9.99 a month.
Estragon
Rising Star

Catch up at the back please  :D.  See my 00:35 post about New Packages.
It seems a mod has combined the two threads  Smiley so no need for the comment.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which told me virtually nothing.
Quote from: Estragon
is a bit garbled and unclear to me
It's also unclear whether this will apply to "Broadband only"

It was also a bit garbled and unclear to me, too.
I have been in contact with Plusnet to confirm details.
Apparently they were briefed around a month ago.
(Very brief !)
peter10
Grafter

The Guardian article says
"Existing customers who want to stay on the cheaper capped 10GB service can do so and will continue to pay £5.99 a month. Those who want to upgrade to the unlimited service will pay £9.99 a month"
I thought the 10GB service was £6.49. I await the official announcement from Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extra info...
Looks like it will be £9.99 pcm on a 12 month contract, £11.99 pcm non contract.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It will also be welcomed by those in rural areas who are more likely to only have two reasonably priced broadband options – BT and Plusnet.
Plusnet will launch unlimited broadband on both copper and fibre products. Plusnet Unlimited will provide up to 16Mbps at £4.99 a month for the first 12 months for new customers who take its home phone package, and £9.99 thereafter.

So it looks like Plusnet is abandoning it's 'Market' based pricing structure in favour of the cheaper price for all - for those rural area customers with a limited choice of reasonably priced broadband will surely be served by a Market 1 telephone exchange.  Well done Plusnet!
(Or it could just be that the article is garbled beyond sense) 
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: ReedRichards
So it looks like Plusnet is abandoning it's 'Market' based pricing structure in favour of the cheaper price for all - for those rural area customers with a limited choice of reasonably priced broadband will surely be served by a Market 1 telephone exchange.  Well done Plusnet!
(Or it could just be that the article is garbled beyond sense)  
Quite possibly garbled, as I pointed out. It is possible to read the article as £4 gets unlimited on the "Essentials" package, which has to be garbage.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

...whether or not PN Home Phone becomes compulsory...

If Home Phone were made compulsory that would be a terribly retrograde step.  It is becoming increasingly hard to find a broadband provider that does not force their phone package on you also.  But I cannot see Plusnet doing this.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Salmo
The Guardian article says
"Existing customers who want to stay on the cheaper capped 10GB service can do so and will continue to pay £5.99 a month. Those who want to upgrade to the unlimited service will pay £9.99 a month"
I thought the 10GB service was £6.49. I await the official announcement from Plusnet.

It is, and that bit of the article needs correcting. The Essentials product will replace the current Value package in our portfolio, however existing Value customers will need to request that they're moved across to the new package.
Quote from: PlusComUK
Looks like it will be £9.99 pcm on a 12 month contract, £11.99 pcm non contract.

The pricing will be as follows:

ADSL contracts are 12 months whilst fibre packages are contracted at 18 months.
Quote from: ReedRichards
So it looks like Plusnet is abandoning it's 'Market' based pricing structure in favour of the cheaper price for all.

As above, that's *not* the case.
There are other questions as well, raised in my "New packages" thread before this one was started  :P. Seeing as this thread is flying however, they are whether or not PN Home Phone becomes compulsory, and whetehr or not there is an FUP/AUP to muddy the waters?

There's no FUP and Home Phone isn't compulsory. It will influence how much a new customer pay for line activation though.
I'm going to stick a blog up on the Community Site shortly that mirrors what's been reported in today's press release. In the meantime can I ask that anyone wanting to ask questions does so on this thread rather than contacting the CSC who can't really do a great deal until Wednesday anyway.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

CX
Grafter

RE: lack of FUP. That's great; I was concerned that we would be moving from metered peak / unmetered off-peak to unmetered 24/7 (...with FUP). However, I hope that reasonable bandwidth caps remain in place to protect performance at peak times (and avoid becoming like certain other "unlimited" ISPs).
Will it be a case of existing customers remaining on the "legacy" packages and would need to request an upgrade?
Razer
Grafter

OK, I'm confused a touch. Firstly, what is FUP/AUP, secondly; what about those who are not on a value package? I'm on the 60GB package, what changes are proposed for that, and what will happen to the unlimited between midnight and 8am?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Razer
OK, I'm confused a touch. Firstly, what is FUP/AUP,

Fair Usage Policy/Acceptable Usage Policy. As Bob's mentioned, there isn't one on the Unlimited product.
secondly; what about those who are not on a value package? I'm on the 60GB package, what changes are proposed for that, and what will happen to the unlimited between midnight and 8am?

If you want to stay on that product you can, and as far as I'm aware it'll stay exactly as it is currently. If you want to move to the new products you'll need to request that from Wednesday onwards via our website.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Firstly, what is FUP/AUP

Fair/Acceptable Use Policies
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: CX
RE: lack of FUP. That's great; I was concerned that we would be moving from metered peak / unmetered off-peak to unmetered 24/7 (...with FUP). However, I hope that reasonable bandwidth caps remain in place to protect performance at peak times (and avoid becoming like certain other "unlimited" ISPs).

We'll give full details of the traffic management from Wednesday.
Quote from: CX
Will it be a case of existing customers remaining on the "legacy" packages and would need to request an upgrade?

Yes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.