Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre - no where near the speeds I was expecting

emerald
Grafter

Re: Unlimited Fibre - no where near the speeds I was expecting

Currently 4 mps now  Sad
I've tried inSSider and changed from channel 6 to 11.  I've submitted a question now.
Krem
Grafter

Well this is my ongoing story too sadly: Basically since September I've dropped from a steady 35mb to 20mb after being told '20mb is the maximum speed I'll ever get with my line' despite the latter speed being available for over a year and despite TWO BT Openreach engineers saying the line can do around 80mb.
Now I switched to unlimited due to the fact it frees me up to allow for game patching/Netflix during the day without worry, and now it's dropped like a stone again to 8mb although I'm still in the '10 days' when switching so I'll let it off a little. 
However when checking my estimated and current speeds it's saying 40mb estimated, which I was expecting as normal but the current line speed at 78mb, which of course I 'should never be able to get' but checking the BT testing side it's stating my profile is suited for 21mb! So not only am I on the wrong profile, what the site 'claims' I'm getting is not what I'm actually getting (I've taken a screenshot with the time and date to prove it's actually displayed because in my experience it's got a habit of suddenly becoming 'unavailable' thus unable to back up my claims if I did need to take it 'that far')
Something is clearly going on in these past months either Plusnet's end or BT wholesale, we aren't going to get things sorted easily it seems.
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: emerald
I've tried inSSider and changed from channel 6 to 11.  I've submitted a question now.

So have you tried the speed test with an ethernet cable, as advised by several posts here? If not, then it's impossible to know whether your problem is your broadband link or the wifi on your router. If you test with a cable and you still get the same speeds, then you can be sure it's a broadband issue and Plusnet will be able to investigate it as such.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked over your connection and it's currently showing that your speeds are 58Mb/s, can you try a wired connection and see if there is any difference?
emerald
Grafter

Last need the wireless speeds were awful. This morning we had no internet. I ended up having to switch off the router and restart. Any idea why?
(I have borrowed a laptop so will try a wired connection tonight/tomorrow.)
Is there a better wireless router I could buy/try?
Bright
Grafter

Are you getting these slow speeds during the daytime as well? In the evening there is an issue affecting lots of Plusnet customers, causing throughput much lower than normal.
Worth checking whether the problem is the wifi or not. If you get good results with an ethernet connection then a different router with better wifi may be the solution. Asus routers have excellent wireless coverage, for example this one (but relatively expensive).