cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Fibre - no where near the speeds I was expecting

emerald
Grafter

Unlimited Fibre - no where near the speeds I was expecting

We are getting less than 10mps, BT advised 56mps.
Why did I bother changing providers for 'fibre'? It has been more than 10 days.  Angry
20 REPLIES 20
SuperSaiyan4
Grafter

Re: Unlimited Fibre - no where near the speeds I was expecting

Join the club...And its a pretty big one Sad
kmilburn
Grafter

That does seem unusually low..
What results do you get from the 'Further Diagnostics' at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
And what is your Current Line Speed.
emerald
Grafter

BT test was 10mps and current line speed is 58mps.  Sad

adie:quote
kmilburn
Grafter

The current Line speed  (and one assumes the BT's IP profile) of 58mbps indicates that you should be able to get close to the original estimate,  so something, somewhere, is going wrong.
Time for some more questions  Wink
Are you connecting wired or wireless?
Are you connecting directly to the router or do you use any intermediate devices  (hub, powerline adapters, etc)?
How many/what computers or other devices (tablet, phone, etc) have you tried and how do the results compare? 
    speedtest.net have an android and iOS app,  while testing will be wireless it may give some clues.
What Operating System are you running?
What is the speed of the network device used?

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: emerald
We are getting less than 10mps, BT advised 56mps.
Why did I bother changing providers for 'fibre'? It has been more than 10 days.  Angry

Is that just this evening?  Or all the time?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
emerald
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly

Is that just this evening?  Or all the time?

Since I transferred to you on 6th Feb.
emerald
Grafter

@kmilburn
Are you connecting wired or wireless? Wireless
Are you connecting directly to the router or do you use any intermediate devices  (hub, powerline adapters, etc)? Just the router
How many/what computers or other devices (tablet, phone, etc) have you tried and how do the results compare?   All similar, iMac, iPad, 2 Android phones
What Operating System are you running? not sure, do you mean iOS?
What is the speed of the network device used? not sure
Bright
Grafter

@emerald
First thing to do would be to run the BT Wholesale speed test again with your iMac (or other suitable computer) connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable (and turn off airport on the iMac so you know it's using the ethernet link). That will eliminate the possibility that the problem is the wireless connection in your house.
emberto1946

Emerald,
Save your breath, you're wasting your time and will only end up giving up as I have done.  I too have been with plusnet and from the day the engineer walked out of my house prodly announcing that I was connected at 80/20 I've been struggling to get any sense out of plusnet.  Try ringing the "award winning helpline" and you get the message ' the current waiting time is .....'. My worst case was an hour!  I've changed my router and am nearly there now but it's in spite of rather than due to, Plusnet.  No wonder they sign you up to an 18 month contract.
My big problem now is wireless signal, or lack of, but am working on that now.  Yes, with the new router, I am up into the low 70's occasionally with the ethernet cable, but less than half that wirelessly and my laptop is 2 metres from the router.
Best of luck.
Mike Cry
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: emberto1946
Yes, with the new router, I am up into the low 70's occasionally with the ethernet cable, but less than half that wirelessly and my laptop is 2 metres from the router.

Depending on the capabilities of the laptop,  that sounds about right.
To get faster speeds on wireless you need a system with 2 or more antennas, and the system needs to support 40MHz channel width.
Without those,  getting 35-40mbps is about all you can expect.
And IIRC, all machines will be llimited by the device with the lowest capabilities.
My Desktop machines gets around 75mbps,  my smartphone and tablet get around 38mbps.
kmilburn
Grafter

As Bright mentioned,  for best results you need to test speed with a wired connection.
How many/what computers or other devices (tablet, phone, etc) have you tried and how do the results compare?   All similar, iMac, iPad, 2 Android phones

If all the deivces are giving similar values,  it look likely it's the wireless that's causing the problem.
picbits
Rising Star

From some test I did when I first had my FTTC installed :
My Dell laptop measures 17-20Mb on the 54g
My Wifes measures 44Mb on her wireless N
My laptop with a 300Mb dongle measures 68Mb
My server on a gigabit switch hooked up to the router measures 73Mb
emerald
Grafter

Quote from: kmilburn

As Bright mentioned,  for best results you need to test speed with a wired connection.

If all the deivces are giving similar values,  it look likely it's the wireless that's causing the problem.

When you say 'the wireless' do you mean the router? I've tried the speedtest sat next to it too. It is still slow. Unfortunately the imac isn't easy to shift, I'll try a wired test when I get some help shifting it.  Smiley
kmilburn
Grafter

By 'the wireless' I mean evertything from the router, the channel in use and interference from neighbours, interference from other sources, etc.
Using something like inSSIDer on the mac (not free) or android (free) would allow you to see how many wireless networks are around you and what channels are in use. 
Changing the router to a different channel with less interference may help.
Also,  as mentioned earlier, even if your connection is capable of 56mbps wired,  you may struggle to get more than 35mbps over wireless.