Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Unlimited Data?

I find it strange that PlusNet make an announcement to say they're sponsoring Celebrity Big Brother, but none to say they're reselling their services via the John Lewis brand.
Which to me, is slightly more applicable considering they're an ISP.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: tomxlisa
Is plusnet ever gonna be the same as john lewis, is there anything on the internet to say they are gonna be?.

Think of it like this The JL broadband and phone are a new PN package , sold using the JL name

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tomxlisa
Grafter

Has there been any mention of plusnet doing this package, is it worth me stopping my transfer to plusnet and going to john lewis, or is it worth sticking with plusnet and seeing what happens, the only trouble with the last option is i will be stuck in a 12 month contract?.
centralsimon
Grafter

Unlimited data is the way the industry is going - but the vast majority of users won't need unlimited. It's similar to the number of free minutes & texts you get with your mobile phones. Most users don't use them but it is viewed as a good deal.
The trouble PN have is bandwidth costs money, but they need to attract new customers. Recently had FTTC installed and the Open Reach engineer said it was his first PN install - after around 3 weeks of our cab switching over. Not sure how many installs the guy had done, but those figures are not good for PN.
To remain competitive, in my opinion, PN either need to double their data allowances or significantly reduce their monthly fees.
We will wait and see what and if their product change will bring.
Simon_M
Grafter

is it worth sticking with plusnet and seeing what happens, the only trouble with the last option is i will be stuck in a 12 month contract?.

Not if you are a residential customer. The contract length is only 10 days.
If you take up the offer of a new router for free, then you are asked to pay for it if you leave within 12 months. Do you need a new router? If you only have a locked down Sky router at the moment, I guess the answer might be 'yes', but worst case you have a £40 router for £40 instead of for free. You may even find that a move from PN to JL doesn't trigger the router payment claim - you can but ask.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Oh right, so my contract isn't for 12 months then, cause i thought it was as when i read on the page it said unless i pay the £25 for activation and use my own router, then it is a 12 month contract, it will be good if it is as you say, cause i can move to plusnet, and see what happens, if nothing then maybe jump to john lewis?.
Simon_M
Grafter

The contract isn't for 12 months, so if you left you wouldn't have to pay the remainder of the 12 months' broadband fees, but any up front costs that were only waived if you do stay for 12 months would become payable. So you would have to pay for the router & from what you say, also the activation fee.
Bear in mind that I'm only a customer, like you, so you need to satisfy yourself that this is the correct interpretation before you act on it.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yes, we are partnering with John Lewis to provide John Lewis Broadband. The products have been designed with them and with their customer base in mind.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Will plusnet be offering the same products at some point?.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As soon as we have defined any changes to our products and are ready to announce them we'll let you know.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Simon_M
Grafter

Will plusnet be offering the same products at some point?.

I think Chris's carefully chosen words mean 'No'. Nice middle class, non-techie JL customers who buy their broadband from a department store don't download Linux distros every other night, nor set massive p2p torrents running. They'll use iPlayer quite a bit & maybe download a few films via a subscription service. One or two might even watch Wimbledon on-line.
Ok, I'm stereotyping, but you get the point. It's a fairly safe risk to let customers who come via that route loose with an unlimited product. But if everyone piles in & tries to take advantage, it'll be a short-lived product.
BUT...
I think you can assume that there will be something in the PN refresh that moves in that direction, but allows for the fact that the typical PN customer probably makes more use of the available bandwidth than the average JL customer.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there be any benefits for PN customers shopping etc in John Lewis ?
I bought my latest iMac from them, same price as Apple, but came with a two year warranty.
Their Apple Customer Tech suppost is rubbish though, couldn't answer a simple iMac question I already had the answer to, from Google.
And there is an excellent mac forum I use for other techie Q's.
x47c
Grafter

All goods in the EU now have a 2 year guarantee
The first year comes from the retailer
and the second year comes from the manufacturer.
So J.Lewis in offering a 2 year guarantee are in practice only taking off you the admin aspects of you having to deal with the manufacturer in the second year if it goes wrong as they will do that for you - which I fully accept is an advantage to the customer.
However they are certainly not offering you an second year guarantee for free
I was once in the High Wycombe store and overhead some sale rep (sorry partner) spouting off this rubbish to some punter about how they had the advantage of a second year's guarantee making it two in total making it seem without exactly saying so that this was a free benefit of buying at JL. - lying toad I thought.

I reckon Poster 'Simon M' has it spot on above as regards J.L customers and their surfing habits and the offer of unlimited etc
mickstreet
Grafter

Have you called plus net? I too was on the 60GB service but with Netflix I was going well over, called plus net (after posting on here) and they offered unlimited for an extra fiver. Haven't looked back since!
tomxlisa
Grafter

What is all this plusnet refresh talk, and i am not with plusnet yet, i am in the process of moving to them, but surely they cant offer someone unlimited for an extra £5 but not everyone else, how long ago was it that you did this?.